Hi Sara,

I'm in the same boat. I recently retired and got interested in hiking the AT. I've done a little, about 90 miles so far. I've only done 2 overnight hikes so far. I live in Maryland and have planned my next section hike for southern Virginia going from Damascus to Pearisburg, over about 10 days. I'm waiting till September since I hate hot weather, as well as bugs and snakes. Since my wife is also retired the plan is for us to rent an airbnb someplace and for me to do day hikes mostly. There will be some longer section that will require camping. I enjoy being out on the trail but always feel a little nervous at the same time since I'm alone in the middle of nowhere. I would enjoy it so much more if I had a partner. Anyway, my plan is to focus on the state of Virginia for now working my way north from Damascus, doing a couple weeks at a time. So to you and any of the other hikers on this thread feel free to DM me if you would like to do a hike together. I would encourage you all to check out youtube videos of hiking the AT through Whitetop Mountain, Grayson Highlands, and the triple crown. Happy hiking all.

0 Likes