cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Seeking advice on selecting a Heart Rate Monitor

Good morning; I need your sage advice.  I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction for a heart rate monitor. 

I'm 70 years old; former runner and race walker (years ago); unable to run now (osteoarthritis + injuries), but I can walk/hike & cycle (mtn bike). I'm looking for a heart rate monitor to use for both activities as a means to keep myself in the fitness/weight-loss heart rate when I'm exercising. One other thing:  I'd like to be able to link it to my Android phone; and, I'm looking for real-time readouts.

Thank you.

0 Likes
2 Replies

I have a FitBit Versa that monitors my heartbeat and I like it. I don't think it's very accurate when it comes to other measurements (distance, for example, can be off by 25% or more depending on whether I am moving or standing still when I first start the recording). But the heartrate is accurate.

I know that Garmin smart watches get high marks in this area as well, but I have no experience with them

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi @PSTNHED - Thanks so much for reaching out! There are lots of great options these days for getting realtime heart rate data on your phone while you’re walking, hiking and biking. Do you know where on your body you want to wear your heart rate monitor?

The Wahoo TICKR is worn on a chest strap, while the TICKR FIT is worn on your forearm. Both provide realtime heart rate data and connect with many third-party apps (Nike+, Strava, Wahoo Fitness, MapMyRide, etc). These monitors are straight forward and the customization mostly comes from what apps you connect to on your phone. If you’re interested in a watch, the Garmin Venu Sq is a great option. It connects with your phone, but there are also many features on the watch itself for realtime monitoring, fitness plans/goals, and more. Let us know if you have any more questions or want additional suggestions and we’d be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes