cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Online Streaming Yoga Classes

Currently living in a small town without a yoga studio. I have lots of experience, however I’m more consistent with a class. Wanting to try an online streaming platform and wondering if anyone has recommendations? Would be streaming from iPad or tv. I prefer Ashtanga, however I am open to ideas. 

Thank you.

10 Replies

@malisser YogaToday.com is fantastic!  Top-notch instructors and an amazing variety of classes.  Nearly all are filmed outdoors in Jackson, WY with the Tetons in the background, so they are beautiful.  They have a free trial offer.  The classes are on the web and an app.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hey @malisser! I’m so glad you asked! There are so many great resources on youtube. My top two favorite are “Bad Yogi” and “Yoga with Adriene” both of these instructors offer different levels of yoga and have great series that you can work through over time. The best part is, they make you laugh! Belly laughing happens to be good for your soul & your body!

I haven’t tried YogaToday.com, but will be trying it out thanks to @johnt!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

@malisser I love yoga with adriene.  It is not ashtanga though.  Maybe youtube search ashtanga and find a teacher that you like

0 Likes

@malisser 

Gaia has lots of options.  Fee based, but I believe they offer a free trial.

Yoga with Adriene on You Tube is free and has all types of practice options.

Yoga Collective is another online option.  Fee based, but they typically have deals on Groupon

0 Likes

Does anyone have any tips for how to adjust online classes for an injured wrist? I used to do Yoga with Adrienne with my roommate, but they haven't been able to practice since a wrist injury prevents putting weight on a bent wrist (e.g. downward dog, tabletop). If we went to a studio, instructors would be able to provide adaptations, but there's no virtual version for that! Any tips?

0 Likes

@Sedonalynn@KateJ@johnt@malisser@CaseyL@REI-RachelR@Shinie - I wanted to tag you all to see if anyone had suggestions for @here-we-go and the question they just posted!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@here-we-go - Downward Dog, Adho mukha svanasana, can be done on your forearms.  Other poses, like tabletop, may be able to be adapted by putting your injured side forearm on stacked blocks.

Listening to your body is critical.  Trying to keep your body in alignment is also important.  But it's OK to skip any pose in an online class that doesn't feel good.  You're still getting the positive benefits of movement, self-care and breath.  

Good luck to your roommate, and don't forget the power of chant.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

My instructor started doing basic live Zoom yoga classes as gyms shut down during the pandemic. Donation based.  One hour sessions are M-F 5:45 & 9:00am PST, along with some other related sessions.  Try her out! Amy (phone number removed by moderator)

You can find her on Instagram: Amy Johnson; tattoo_queen911

0 Likes

I use Gaia and I love it. There are hundreds and hundreds of videos and you can search by type of yoga, skill level, instructor, and length of class. I typically do Yoga Everyday because they're about fifteen minutes long. They have classes all the way up to an hour and a half I think.

It's about $100 for an annual subscription.