cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Nordic Pole Walking

I am interested in learning Nordic Pole Walking.  First, I want to purchase a good pair of poles.  I have been using my hiking poles and have read that one does better with specific poles.  I am requesting assistance in selecting the best pair of poles for me.  

Second, I hope that there is a class in Nordic pole walking in Durango, Colorado.  If not, are there folks doing this activity with whom I could connect?

Thanks,

Cheryle Brandsma

1 Reply

Hi @Dgodoll - I have been planning on doing Nordic Walking as well and did a lot of research last Summer (but then, more often than not, just ended up hitting the trails to hike instead). But here's what I ended up with (in no particular order):

• Poles - The die-hard walkers all sweat by Leki but I think that's more of a preferred brand. The poles should be tall enough that when you're holding them, they form a 90° angle at your elbow. I use the same poles as I do for hiking - a $35 pair from Amazon that I love. And, since my poles are adjustable in height, I didn't have to worry about buying the wrong height. Adjustable poles have come a long way in the past 5 or 6 years in terms of their strength so for NW, all the arguments against using them are, IMHO, no longer valid.
  • Tips - what makes poles appropriate for NW are the tips. I paid about $12 for a set of push on NW tips and they go over the points of my trekking poles.
  • Technique - no class is really needed although a class would be good if for no other reason to meet other NW practitioners in your area. Otherwise, YouTube is your friend - lots of great (and many corny) videos on how to do it. But, if you've ever done cross country skiing, it's the exact same technique.

Have fun with it - it's a great workout.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes