cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Need warm long-sleeve top for cold tennis mornings

Hi. I have been playing tennis at sunrise in Los Angeles and it has recently been 47-50 degrees F. I wear a Patagonia medium-weight Capilene long sleeve crew neck top and it keeps me sufficiently warm. However I would like to buy another long sleeve warm top with a quarter or half zip since the crew neck feels stifling on my neck. What would you recommend for the above temperature while playing tennis?

One of these? https://www.rei.com/c/mens-workout-shirts/f/sl-long-sleeve?ir=category%3Amens-workout-shirts&r=c%3Bf...

Tennis courts I play atTennis courts I play at

0 Likes
2 Replies

@Tapper , thanks for reaching out. I have run into the same situation up here in the PNW, as the indoor courts that I have been playing on are not heated, and it has gotten chilly! 

In the Fall and Winter, I find the best option to be wool. It will pull moisture away from your body, similar to your Patagonia Capilene, but is still insulating when it gets damp.  

There are different wool options however, for tennis, I prefer a base layer, for more of an athletic fit. The Smartwool Merino 250 Base Layer Quarter Zip would be a great option or, for a slightly lighter version, you could go with the Smartwool Merino 150 Quarter Zip. I also really like the REI Merino Midweight Base Layer Half-Zip which would have a similar weight to the Smartwool 250. 

Thanks for sharing that picture, it looks like a wonderful place to play tennis! 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks. I ordered the REI Merino Midweight because the colors for the other two were not my pick.