cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for Shoe for fast-paced aerobic walking on large loose gravel road down steep slopes

Could you please recommend women's shoes for aerobic walking or running on a gravel road where the gravel is NOT pea-sized but larger and is very loose.    When I walk down the steep slopes on this road, I am always fearful that I am going to slip and fall, especially when I am walking the dog.  I wear a size 12 and may need a wide width.   Thanks!

0 Likes
6 Replies

I suspect almost any good running shoe will do about as well as any other.  In the kind of terrain you describe, there are no guarantees.  i believe your best accessory would be a hiking staff, giving you tripod support.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Well, it almost sounds a tad bit dangerous.

you might have to just slow down, find another route or as @hikermor says, use trekking poles.

either way, stay safe!

good luck

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@AM1 you might also want to consider something like low cut Trail Gaiters to keep small stones and other debris out. 

I also echo the need for hiking pole(s) to provide added stability.

Hopefully your dog is well-behaved. I can't imagine being pulled down what sounds like a scree slope by a large "enthusiastic" dog.

...Wanderer

0 Likes

I appreciate all the responses to my question.  Each of you emphasized walking sticks and I am convinced that is what I need to use so I don't slip and fall.  Now I need to figure out how do I hold a walking stick in each hand and walk a dog that is a little over a year old who has a limited space to roam around during the day so excitedly looks forward to being walked or should I say looks forward to walking me?😄

It sounds like you are on board with trekking poles - good. 

I've seen many people with leashes clipped to belts. If I recall correctly, they often have elastic cord built into the leash so both you and the pooch get some feedback between loose and pulling. Training for both you and the pooch using whatever system you come up with is a good idea before you get on the steep downhills with the loose gravel though.

0 Likes

I am a fan of using one stick - leaving the other for all kinds of uses while still proving stability.  If your pooch is out of control that presents an even greater stability challenge.  Train your doggie!

0 Likes