cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best sunscreen

What’s the best sunscreen? I’m very fair and burn very easily. I would prefer to use one that’s reef safe. 

13 Replies

@KerryOT - My personal favorite is SunBum! It's reef safe, smells amazing, and easy to apply! 

Thinksport, Badger, All Good, and Raw Elements are also some great reef safe sunscreens!

Here's a link to an Expert Advice article with really great information on sunscreens: Sunscreen

Hope you find a chance to get outside today!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Consumer reports just did a big story on sunscreens, it is worth a read. Trader Joe's spf 50 was rated the best spray while while coppertone ultra guard spf 70 was one of the better lotions and inexpensive, relatively speaking. 

0 Likes

I'm not sure if this one is reef-safe but I use the Nivea Sun Protect Super Water Gel SPF 50 from Japan and it works well for sensitive skin. I use it for my face and body everyday and it does not stain my clothes or make me break out in a rash. I hope this helps!

0 Likes

Personal care items tend to be subjective, and it's hard to say "best."  For sensitive or fair skin, I would look into sunscreen for babies.  I used Target store brand Up&Up Sports SPF 35 when I was in Phoenix last week (desert summer), and I re-applied it often, couple of times an hour.

You beat me to the sunscreen question!  I currently use SunBum and am very happy with the product.  I just found out that they make a chapstick with SPF 30, so I will be trying that out as soon as I can get my hands on some.  I am curious to hear what brands other people are using.

Another for Sun Bum! 

I love the face sticks too! Less mess and cleaner for the face. I have both the regular and the zinc stick and I love them both! The zinc needs a little rubbing in of course 🙂 

0 Likes

I use Blue Lizard Sport.  It's an Australian Sunscreen at SPF 30+. It contains Zinc Oxide formula that's very water resistant. The cap turns bluer the more its exposed to the sun. It doesn't leave a whiteness on your skin. 

0 Likes

I love Zealios (https://teamzealios.com/) for their sunscreen - lasts forever - and also for their hair care products. I live in the Philippines and swim a lot and this sunscreen has been awesome to save me from the sun. 

I’m a big fan of Supergoop, especially the Mousse! No Oxybenzone. 

0 Likes