cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Best sunscreen

What’s the best sunscreen? I’m very fair and burn very easily. I would prefer to use one that’s reef safe. 

13 Replies

In this morning's paper (wsj), 50 sunscreens are tested and 6 winners and 6 runners-up are highlighted, although "reef" was not mentioned.

Sheer SPF, WSJ July 20-21 

(I tested the link and could see the article without signing in, but if it did not work when you clicked, your local library and some Starbucks should have a paper copy.) 

0 Likes

I just found a tinted version of Badger that is my new go to. It’s the only zinc based sunscreen that doesn’t leave me all white. 

0 Likes

I only trust Zinc Oxide sunscreens for my skin and for the ocean. This one is sold at REI, goes on smooth, isn’t oily, and doesn’t turn my skin white:

https://www.rei.com/product/132624/thinksport-safe-spf-50-sunscreen-6-fl-oz

0 Likes

Badger Sport Broad Spectrum SPF 35 has positive qualities, such as reef safe and not absorbed by the skin into the bloodstream like some large non-mineral name brands. However, it uses non-nanoparticle zinc oxide and can be visibly seen when applied. I apply it every 1-2 hours when running in day time. Badger also has a facial stick and lip balm as well. 

0 Likes