cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Why doesn't REI carry fishing equipment?

Hello,

I've been an REI member for sometime now and in the past two years, I've taken up fishing as a recreational sport.  I'm curious as to why REI does not sell fishing gear, accessories or apparel. Camping and fishing go hand-in-hand.  Why not sell fishing equipment?

Thanks and Regards,

Kirk

3 Replies

Remember that REI began as a bunch of climbers working together to obtain specialized gear from European sources.  Fishing and generalized camping simply wasn't a priority.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

great observation...I hadn't noticed, lol!  But I think Bass Pro/Cabella's has got that covered!

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes

@Kirk Thanks for reaching out!

Many years ago REI did carry fly fishing equipment, however it has been a while since we have stocked that category. I think that @hikermor and @Philreedshikes are on the right track with their responses of REI focusing more heavily on other categories. We will pass along your feedback to our teams, who appreciate hearing what products our members would like to see us potentially carry in the future.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.