cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Trout fishing in Sequoias

I've been backpacking for several years now, and it's time to up my game. I am planning a trip to the Sequoias in June and there are several high altitude lakes at our destination. I bought a light fishing pole, but have not fished much since I was a kid. Any tips, tricks or bait suggestions? 

6 Replies

DCCB0245-7180-431F-AB99-066C640D887D.png

 here is a nice list of flies recommended for the S.N.Forest.

I personally have never fished there, but if it’s anything like east coast fly fishing. Pack light and be prepared to hike. Finding pools and fish can take you on all kinds of adventures. Good luck 

0 Likes

Thank you for the tips! We have the lakes all mapped out. About 10 miles from the trailhead, so should be very few people. We're going to be out for 5 days, so no too light. Gotta take enough food in case they aren't biting. 

What is the best way to bring extra line? I really want to downsize from the 3" spool it comes on from the factory.

0 Likes

You could pick up a couple sewing bobbins from your local fabric store

0 Likes

There has not been fish stocking in Sequoia National Park for quite a few years. However, a portion of this park still has a remnant of original golden trout fishery. In short, check local resources about fishing in each of the Lakes you are curious about. You can sometimes have more luck in meadow stream systems, but the fish are smaller. Good luck

I know in the High Sierras you can find Rainbow trout.  Try winding a spare spool if you really need to bring two different types of line.  Flies are the best way but if you just have spinning gear then try a small hook and salmon eggs with light tackle ….4-6 lb and a collapsible fishing rod with a small…maybe 20…reel.

0 Likes