cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Fairbanks in December, advice on insulated jackets and gloves?

Hi,

I will be visiting Fairbanks in December, the weather is forecasted to be in the range of -10F to 11F. I am not used to these climate conditions and hence researching for the gear I need to purchase. I did get merino wool base layers, still looking for mid layers and insulated jackets, gloves. Might indulge in low activity such as snow shoeing. I would greatly appreciate if you all can provide valuable suggestions for the gear.

Thanks,

VV

0 Likes
1 Reply

@vvi2 

Thanks for reaching out!

What a great adventure! I lived in Fairbanks for over six years before moving back down to the lower 48 last year. It is a truly amazing place.

I would recommend checking out these two conversations we had with other users to get some good information on this topic:

If you still have questions after reading through those conversations don't hesitate to ask them here. It sounds like you're on the right track with your base layers. The name of the game for staying warm in winter in the interior of Alaska is layering. Liner gloves are critical, as is a mid layer jacket. Another important thing to remember is to start warm if you can. It's much easier to maintain your warmth than it is to generate it!

I hope you have an amazing trip, let us know if you have any more questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category