cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Tips for East Coast Backpacker travelling to Denver in June

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Denver this June for a 3 day backpacking trip on the Lost Creek Wilderness trail. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for someone like me who primarily hikes on the East Coast. For example, can I use a bear hang bag or do I need a bear container? What weather do we need to prepare for? All tips help. Thanks!
0 Likes
12 Replies

Thanks for your advice! I was thinking of starting and finishing at the Lost Park Campground, however I'm worried about the snow near McCurdy park being impassable at that time (early June). Most of the reviews I've read say it probably wont be, however, theres always a chance at that elevation & I guess CO has gotten a ton of snow recently? Would beginning at Goose Creek be better?

0 Likes

I love Lost Park Campground.  Beautiful area, but bring bug spray.  Mosquitoes can be quite aggressive.  My dog was even going crazy because of them once.

Yes, early June could still have some snowpack.  We have received a good bit of snow lately, but we’re also seeing some pretty warm temps between snowfalls.  It could go either way.  We’re still about two months away so I can’t speculate on which way it will go.  If, however, you’re comfortable with hiking in some snow in the higher elevations you should be able to find campsites without snow lower down, where you’d want to be for water anyway.  I doubt it would be impassable.  Brookside/McCurdy tops out at 11,800, but is pretty exposed and SW facing so will get a lot of sun on it.

It might be a good idea to contact the ranger district as it gets closer.  I don’t hike that area very much as I moved farther into the mountains, but I’ll keep an eye on it and will dm you if I have anything worthwhile.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it

0 Likes
Join the community
Other boards in this category