cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Hiking the C&O Towpath in the Fall - Looking for a hiking buddy

56 year old male cancer survivor, now retired.  Looking for a hiking companion for a 9-12 day hike on the C&O Towpath starting around the beginning of October.

I'm a sane individual with no desire to discuss the political or economic environment.  If you dig music, sports, and photography, send me a message.

Age, race, gender doesn't matter.  Just don't complain!! LOL!

Hope to hear from someone in the area.  I'm doing about a 3 mph pace.  It's a flat trail.  My goal is 15-20 miles a day.

21 Replies

@Irishmenintheend The C&O might be beautiful by that time. I have cycled but not hiked much of it. I can't manage 9-12 days but 2 days and a night are a possibility. Text me your schedule about two weeks out. I would be more interested in the western sections than the eastern sections.

aka "Boonerelli"

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

@CajunHiker Are you looking to thru-hike it all, or just do a section?  I'm looking to do an 85-mile middle section of it around the same-ish time frame this fall.

0 Likes

@JeffPPeters I plan on starting Oct 3 in Georgetown.  Trying to do thru-hike in 10 days.  Send me a message if you want to see if our plans align.

Cajun

@JeffPPeters @CajunHiker My window of opportunity will either be the end of September or the end of October.

aka "Boonerelli"

0 Likes

I'm finishing on Oct 3rd.  Guess we'll miss eachother.  Best of luck.  

BTW - be sure to check the C&O's NPS website on water status - they only have about 50% of their water sources opened.

0 Likes

Does anyone know the TRUE status of the water pumps on the Canal Towpath?  I called the park HQ a month ago and they said that most of the pumps are on, despite what the website says.  I called again a few days ago, then Park HQ said the list on the website is accurate (only 50% open).  Anybody know the actual condition?

I would suggest taking a water filter just in case. I did the C&O/GAP by bike a few years ago, and the status of the water pumps was still a question even back then. It wasn't clear whether they were on, or if they were, whether the water was potable or not, so I filtered almost everything that came out of the pumps. 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

I have filtered potable pump water along the C&O just to improve the taste.

aka "Boonerelli"

0 Likes

Called the park HQ a few days ago.  They explained the situation & conflicting reports.  Bottom line: Their website listing is current & accurate.  If I find out on the trail next week that it's grossly inaccurate, I'll post again here.

I just got back from my trip.  For the most part, the website is accurate.  However, I did run into four pumps that were ON when the website said they were off & one pump that was turned OFF when it was listed as on.  I any case, I would suggest if you're going on the towpath, bring some methods to carry extra water.