Highlighted

Why buy a REI Co-op bike?

Why should I buy a REI co-op bike verses a trek bike.  Whats great about the co-op bikes.

Thanks

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted

Hey there @richhendricks !

Thanks for being a part of this Community!  I’m excited to follow this thread and hear from people who are riding Co-op Cycles and those who are riding something else. 

Personally, I think riding bikes is pretty rad and I’ve had an opportunity to ride several brands and own a few. I think what makes Co-Op Cycles cool is the story behind how they came about. 

You can read about it here .

Welcome to the Community and thanks for getting this conversation started!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

@richhendricks Thanks for reaching out!

As an avid Co-op cycles rider, I can tell you that they are not only great bikes, but super fun to ride. Because the brand was founded on an idea that bikes should be an inspiration to get out there and ride, I find that riding a Co-op Cycles bike keeps me motivated to get out and ride more often. Co-op Cycles offers a broad range of adventure-ready bikes for every kind of rider. Riding on a Co-op Cycles bike has brought back the joy of riding bikes that I first felt as a kid. Plus the quality, design, and components are top-notch! That being said, Trek makes great bikes too, so the question is what is the best bike for you?

What kind of rider are you (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? What style of bike are you looking for (city, gravel, road, mountain)? Do you have any goals for your riding (do a gravel tour, improve your cornering on a mountain bike, ride a century, commute to work two days a week, etc)?

Please tell us a little bit about yourself, thanks!

John 

My Co-op Cycles DRT 2.1 in the wild!My Co-op Cycles DRT 2.1 in the wild!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Thanks guys for your reply.  I’m going to need to figure this out and pull the trigger before the current sale is over tomorrow.

What kind of rider are you (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? What style of bike are you looking for (city, gravel, road, mountain)? Do you have any goals for your riding (do a gravel tour, improve your cornering on a mountain bike, ride a century, commute to work two days a week, etc)?

The easiest answer to the first question would be beginner.  Beginner in the sense that neither my wife or I have been riding bikes for a good five years.  We own some 3 speed beach cruisers and that last time we took them out was probably at least 5 years ago.  

Style if Bike.  We now live in Columbus ohio and are looking for a Hybrid Bike. Ohio has a lot of byway trails and many paved trails. The REI bike we are looking at is the CTI 2.1. 

Goals: I am 60 years old. I am a runner and have had recent knee surgery on one knee with the other knee showing similar signs.  I want to get back to running and I need to build my quads and also work on my cardio.  I didn’t want to go straight road bike as I will also be dong leisure rides with it, and with my wife.  With many types of trails out here, it just makes sense to get a hybrid.  I’m hoping that you can get decent speed with the 2.1 even though it’s a little heavier bike and the tires are a little wider.

Hope that helps- looking forward to hearing from you all as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Rich

0 Likes
Highlighted

@richhendricks Thanks for getting back to us so quickly!

Based on what you have told us, we think the CTY 2.1 would be a great choice! The 700c wheels will get you moving fast on days when speed is your goal. Here are a couple of other features we think you will appreciate:

• The front suspension will help dampen any bumps on the road or hard-pack trail you may encounter. If you're riding somewhere you don't need worry about bumps you can lock out the shock.
  • The upright positioning of the bike will help you stay comfortable on longer rides.
  • It also comes in a step-through version if you're concerned with mobility with your knee surgery.
  • Plenty of gears to keep you pedaling through any hills you may encounter.

Hopefully this helps you make the choice. Please feel free to reach out with any other questions!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well lived.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello @REI-JohnJ,

We have ordered the CTY 2.1.  Looking forward to trying them out.  I hoped we might of heard from a few others to there to help make the choice, but we wanted to take advantage of the sale.

Thanks,

Rich