cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Which rear rack works for DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

Hi

i see Rack’s from Tubus Surly Axiom Blackburn Topeak salsa and others     
some say they’re not for fat bikes with asymmetric rear stays and some specify rear numbers like 190 and 197.  Some say yes for disc brakes some say no.  Not sure that’s an issue here given the stays on this frame.  
please guide me which of these racks will work for this bike.  I’m especially interested in the axiom but would Take any of the above that’ll work. Thanks in advance 

hank

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
18 Replies

@REI-JohnJ  John, 

you are an excellent teacher! And I appreciate the clear concise explanation. And the timing of your note to me couldn’t have been more perfect. I just finished my morning ride got home and opened your email it was a great ride a beautiful clear day I’m dialing in both my tire pressure (9.5 pounds today on a moderately bumpy trail— felt like I absorbed shock without too much bounce) and got the handlebars cut down at this point two full inches off each side and they feel perfect along with angling the bar ends and adjusting  my brake levers I’m feeling great about the cockpit at this point.  I’ve met several guys my age who have bought mountain bikes and fat tire bikes and they felt the handlebars were too wide and they were uncomfortable and just left the bikes home. That’s a shame, they can be cut down.

John your advice and explanations are a real asset to REI and your Service as well as the service of others I’ve encountered as a relatively new REI member will keep me shopping there, I placed an order just yesterday and look forward to receiving it! And some of what I ordered was based on my asking an REI expert for advice

have a great rest of your weekend. 
hank

0 Likes

@HankG 

Thank you for your kind words, I really do love sharing the stoke of getting outdoors in whatever shape that takes! I'm so glad to hear you've got your cockpit dialed in and it sounds like you're rocking and rolling with your tire pressure as well. 

I hope you continue to enjoy riding your bike and that you inspire some folks to get out there too!

Thanks for being a part of the community!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

And 9 “ is 229 mm, correct?

0 Likes

@HankG 

That is correct!

0 Likes

My hope had been to use my existing rack, but it was (predictably) far too narrow for the tire. I ended up going with a bikepacking setup instead, with the Revelate frame bag, Revelate seat bag, and handlebar harness.

@ryanjohnson 

Thanks for the update, that's a great set-up! Do you have any trips planned?

0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ  Well....I actually dislocated my shoulder on the bike last Saturday. So it's going to be awhile now.

I rode through a mud puddle that apparently had a deep tire track, which slid the wheels sideways at an unrecoverable rate.

Lesson learned: my SPD pedals may not be the right choice. I'm going to go platform from now on. Any recommendations on platform pedals?

0 Likes

@ryanjohnson 

Nooooooooo! I'm so sorry to hear that! My good friend who introduced me to mountain biking did that exact thing one of the first times we ever rode together. He was fortunate to get up relatively unscathed but I have never, ever, trusted a puddle since. 

Personally, I ride with RaceFace AEffect Platform Pedals and I really like them for three reasons:

1. The traction pins keep my feet securely on the pedals.
  2. The large openings in the pedals shed snow and mud really well.
  3. The blue color looks really sweet with the DRT 4.1 if I may say so myself.

Here's to a speedy recovery for you! I hear the new edition of Bikepacking magazine is set to drop here soon if you need some inspiration while you wait to get back out on the trail!

speedy recovery, @ryanjohnson  Ryan!