cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What is the widest tire I can put on my Co-op Cycles ADV 1.1?

Hi I like the 38 mm schwalbs That came with my Adv  1.1 but I’m wondering what’s the widest  tire that’s safe to put on that rim (according to manufacturer specs) that I can use on trails? I’m looking for something nobbier  and a little lower pressure and a little wider

thanks in advance

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
4 Replies

Hello @HankG,

Usually for a rule of thumb which I learned off the internet was that the widest a tire can be in correlation to the rim is 20mm wider.  Therefore to be safe, I believe it is to protrude 10mm from the rim to the side of the tire.

-Kyle 

Kyle M | https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtrM2UkJKMvKv3qyR9WFv7w
Have a Great Day, and make your best adventure yet.
0 Likes

Kyle thank you for your helpful response!

hank

0 Likes

@HankG 

Thanks for reaching out, I hope you're getting some miles on your fat-tire bike this winter!

The rims on your Co-op Cycles ADV 1.1 are WTB STP i23s. According to the WTB website, that means that your rims have an inner rim measurement of 23mm. According the WTB Tire and Rim compatibility chart, that rim can take a tire up to 50mm. However, it is also important to remember that the width of the fork of the bike also comes into play when determining what size of a tire will work. In this case, it looks like 40mm is the widest tire that you will be able to run on the ADV 1.1.

We'll connect with the Co-op Cycles team to confirm this is the case and circle back with you here in the community. Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi John 

as usual your response is super because it tells me not only the info I’m seeking but also teaches me how to answer the question myself in the future!

yes I rode the fat-tire bike today in snow!  Awesome on the River to ridge trail in new paltz ny today.  I was mindful to avoid the nice x-country ski tracks.  My new PDW fat tire 6.5 fenders kept me dry and my new Thule XT2 pro rack is rock solid even with the heavy fat bike on it.  I wore a silk thin REI  liner on top with a truly retro wool cycling jersey I bought in 1979-80 and a couple llbean flannel shirts and a thin goretex jacket.  Two pairs of Sox. Balaclava. Thin Manzella liner gloves from rei and an old pair of pearl Izumi lobster mitts.  5 pounds tire pressure and I learned how to get my weight back over the rear wheel when I needed traction going up hills.  The bike is a hoot and invites conversations and greetings from passersby.  

thanks again for the tip on the tires for the adv 1.1. 
take care

hank

0 Likes