cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

What are my options for shipping my bicycle?

I have read that it is better to have the store ship my bicycle to a new location than to pack it and send it UPS or such. Can anyone tell me if the store will do this and if so, the approximate cost from Michigan to OR?

0 Likes
4 Replies

Hello @Grandmachick thanks for reaching out to us!

It sounds like you are looking to have your personal bike disassembled and shipped by an REI Michigan bike shop and sent to an REI shop in Oregon.  If that is correct, this is a service we offer when our locations are open.  If that is correct, we are able to disassemble and box your bike in Michigan, then reassemble your bike in Oregon, however we cannot process the shipping itself.  And of course we will only be able to disassemble and reassemble once our stores reopen.

However, I will try and gather some information about what you could expect to pay for this type of service and shipping cost should you decide to take advantage of this service in the future.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Thanks, that is indeed what I am hoping. We just got the bike from our REI store in Grand Rapids last month, and it hasn’t yet been in for its 6-month tuneup. We would expect to take it back to that store if that is something they can help us with, and it is within our price range.

0 Likes

Hi @Grandmachick 

Given that the weight of packed bikes varies greatly, insurance purchased varies, and shipping timelines vary it will be hard for us to quote what it would cost to ship your bike. That being said, we can absolutely provide you information on the cost of disassembly, packing, and reassembly of your bike. 

As a member, you can expect to pay between $60-80 for disassembly/packing and the same for reassembly. Once your bike is packed and we have details on the final destination we would be able to provide an accurate cost of shipping (however we cannot actually process the shipping for you). 

If this isn't going to work for you, or you wish to have the bike shipped before our stores are open, BikeFlights is a good option. This would require you to box your own bike but I wanted to ensure you had options. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

@Grandmachick you will notice that we have made a few changes to the responses we initially provided to your question about boxing and shipping your bike. Unfortunately, our processes had been updated recently and our team was unaware that we are no longer able to ship customers bikes. We are able to disassemble and box your bike for you to ship and we are able to reassemble a bike that has been shipped. The middle step of shipping is one that you will need to facilitate, either via BikeFlights (as @REI-BryanV mentioned) or another carrier like UPS. We are so sorry for the outdated information we provided earlier; please let us know if you have any additional questions.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes