cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Turning CO-OP Cycles REV CTY Step-Thru Bike Into a Commuting Machine

Hi,

I have a 24” REV CTY Step-Thru and I would like to add a basket, kickstand, fenders, and a rack and I don’t know what components would fit.  Do you have a list of items that will work with the bike?

Also, why no standard kickstand on a kid’s bike?

Thank You

0 Likes
3 Replies

@jaq73 

Thanks for reaching out!

We can provide a couple of recommendations, however, your best bet in this case would be to take your bike in to your local REI bike shop and talk with a bike tech there about your options, particularly regarding the fenders and rear rack. You will likely need to cut the kickstand to size, which is also something the bike shop can help you with if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. Here are some ideas for what you're looking to do:

• Greenfield Alloy Kickstand - standard top plate. One of the reviews of this product specifically states that it will work with the Co-op Cycles REV CTY bike. You will need to have it cut to the correct length. Co-op cycles bikes don't come with kickstands because rider needs are highly variable and lots of riders don't want kickstands on their bikes.
  • Electra Honeycomb Front Quick Release Basket. Your bike has front handlebars that are 31.8mm in diameter so this basket should work.
  • Most of the fenders we carry are designed for 26", 29", 650b, or 700c wheels. We recommend talking with a bike tech about which would work for your bike. You might want to look at fenders like the Portland Design Works Origami Front Fender and the PDW Origami Rear Fender, they are pretty versatile options that fit a range of bike sizes.
  • Lastly, because your bike does not have braze-ons to attach a rear rack to, you will either need to get an adapter or a rear rack that does not require braze-ons, like the Topeak RX BeamRack with Side Frame E-type. That rack is only rated to 15 pounds so you'll want to be thoughtful about what you're putting in it if you go that route.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@REI-JohnJ Thanks!  That helps a lot.  I really appreciate the thoughtful response.

@jaq73 

You're welcome! We'd love to see a pic of your commuting machine when you get it set up! I'm sure there are a lot of folks who would benefit from your experience kitting out your bike.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes