cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Tricks to keep going when it's tough?

What does everyone do when you feel like you have hit the wall or don't have the skill to make it though a tough bit of riding? I often sing the same chorus to myself over and over again or tell myself that I will just make it to (next arbitrary marker) and then decide if I should quit or not.

Anyone else have any tips or funny things that they do?

paul trusty
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Oh this is a good one Paul!  I often hit mental walls on my longer rides, so I feel I am well versed in this struggle.  I am very food and beer motivated, so I usually think about what I am going to make for dinner or if there are any good breweries nearby.  Thinking about good food or a cold brew, can usually get me through any tough bit of riding!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Due to a chronic disability,  I have crap days that just plain make me miserable. I know that if I get outside I'll feel better,  but then if I am cycling,  music is my motivation. I have a workout list that has songs like "Whatever It Takes" & "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons as well as Aerosmith & Van Halen. I can get lost in a song which can be just enough to overcome the pain for another song,  & then another & .... next thing I know I'm in the zone or the joint doesn't hurt as bad & I've pumped out 10+ miles when I didn't think I could do 5 when I started. 

0 Likes

Good question! I have a few that work for me (usually while I'm climbing):

1. I try to jedi-mindtrick myself into experiencing the pain/suffering as evidence that I'm getting stronger... so to trying to experience a negative as a positive.
  2. And since the jedi-mindtrick only works sometimes, I also use an mantras/affirmations. Something like: "Strong but not too strong." or "Powerful, Strong, Fast."
  3. And the newest strategy that I borrowed from a friend is to focus mentally on different muscles-- think about my calves or glutes. I almost imagine that I'm transfering effort to those specific muscles and giving the others rest that they need.
0 Likes
3 Replies

Oh this is a good one Paul!  I often hit mental walls on my longer rides, so I feel I am well versed in this struggle.  I am very food and beer motivated, so I usually think about what I am going to make for dinner or if there are any good breweries nearby.  Thinking about good food or a cold brew, can usually get me through any tough bit of riding!

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.

Due to a chronic disability,  I have crap days that just plain make me miserable. I know that if I get outside I'll feel better,  but then if I am cycling,  music is my motivation. I have a workout list that has songs like "Whatever It Takes" & "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons as well as Aerosmith & Van Halen. I can get lost in a song which can be just enough to overcome the pain for another song,  & then another & .... next thing I know I'm in the zone or the joint doesn't hurt as bad & I've pumped out 10+ miles when I didn't think I could do 5 when I started. 

0 Likes

Good question! I have a few that work for me (usually while I'm climbing):

1. I try to jedi-mindtrick myself into experiencing the pain/suffering as evidence that I'm getting stronger... so to trying to experience a negative as a positive.
  2. And since the jedi-mindtrick only works sometimes, I also use an mantras/affirmations. Something like: "Strong but not too strong." or "Powerful, Strong, Fast."
  3. And the newest strategy that I borrowed from a friend is to focus mentally on different muscles-- think about my calves or glutes. I almost imagine that I'm transfering effort to those specific muscles and giving the others rest that they need.
0 Likes