cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Tour biking Europe while remote working

Hi! My name is Juliana and I'm currently in the United States. I'm interested in creating an experience bike touring in Europe (perhaps Italy?) while also remote working. So I need distances between towns that are short enough to do a moderate amount of cycling daily while still getting to a place that has good wifi early enough to put in a day of work. Does anybody have recommendations on where to go? Do you know of a cycling association or bike shop in Europe that would? Would anyone like to join me?

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @jfpaley - Thanks for reaching out. This sounds like an incredible idea!

I used to live in Trieste, Italy and worked remotely, so did a lot of traveling on bike, foot, and train with my computer in tow. Do you know how long of a route would be ideal for your trip or how much distance/vertical gain you are looking for each day? If you are eventually willing to hop on a train with your bike and not complete a full loop, there are many options of classic Italian cycling routes that could be a good fit

For Wifi, while many places have reliable service, I suggest looking into a mobile Wifi hotspot, which will open up your options a lot more and be a good backup for days that don't go exactly as planned. They can be bought unlocked, you can contact your current phone provider to see what international plans they offer, or you can find a an Italian provider once there (Vodafone Roaming and Three Go Roam are well-know options there).

For clubs that may have additional info and point you in a good direction, you could reach out to the Lucca Cycling Club. They have lots of good information on routes around Lucca, but also may know of clubs in different parts of the country to connect you with.

Hopefully other community members will weigh in here with their suggestions as well. If you're keen to share, we'd love to hear updates on your venture. Happy riding!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes