cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Suggestions for bicycle tires with more tread

I need a new set of tires for my Trek Marlin 7 MTB.  I ride mostly gravel and pavement with an occasional single track in the woods of the Florida Panhandle which can be very sandy.  I have worn out the middle of the rear tire (Bontrager XR-1 29x2.25) so I thought something with more tread in the middle might be appropriate.  Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Likes
2 Replies

@robjagger 

Hey Rob,

Thanks for reaching out!

We have a couple of tire options in the same dimensions as your old tire that might work well for you. If you'd like a slightly wider tire you can filter through those pretty easily on REI.com to see what else is available. In the meantime, take a look at these tires:

• Maxxis Ardent DC EXO TR 29er mountain bike tire. This is a pretty rugged tire with deep lugs. They will last a bit longer however you will sacrifice some efficiency on pavement. They should give you good traction in sandy conditions, however.
  • WTB Trail Boss 29er Comp tire. This tire is designed to be long lasting. It also has tightly spaced lugs, which will make it more efficient on pavement and gravel.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Thanks John, I will get them ordered!

0 Likes