cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

So I need a bike, just for fun

My recycled trek was stolen last fall and I am finally ready to replace it. Looking for mountain bike style though it will see more urban streets than trails. If anyone has a MINI hardtop maybe we could also discuss roof rails and a rack. 
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

0 Likes
4 Replies

Hmmm... more urban... why not an "all purpose" bicycle? I'd suggest reading Grant Petersen's "Just Ride" before buying anything. Great little book by a great bicycle designer.

0 Likes

@beejoy 

Thanks for reaching out, although we're sorry to hear that your bike was stolen. We have a couple of options for bikes that should work for you, depending on your riding style, size, and terrain. We'll show to categories of bikes here: 'hybrid' bikes, which have similar geometry to mountain bikes but typically have narrower, smoother tires, and 'mountain bikes' which likely have front suspension and wider, knobbier tires.

Hybrid Bikes:

Mountain Bikes:

These are just a few options that should get you started. Unfortunately, at this time, inventory and availability can be challenging to find due to high demand and manufacturing delays. If you have other questions or would like some more information don't hesitate to ask.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@beejoy 

Also, in regards to a roof rack for your bike, if you could provide the year, make, and model for your car we can help you track down some options. You can also use the Thule Rack Fit Guide or Yakima Rack Fit Guide to help see what will fit on your car. Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi @beejoy .

What other reason is there to own a bike but "just for fun"?  I think even competitive cyclists would have to admit to an element of fun.

But, that aside, I would endorse a hybrid design bike, such as @REI-JohnJ  has recommended. I have a Specialized hybrid that I use on paved roads as well as rail trails, and even on mild single-track.  It may not be the best for any one individual activity, but it is perfect for multi-surface use.

In addition to the paved streets, many urban areas have bike paths and converted rail-trails, and the hybrids are ideally suited to managing this variety of surfaces.  And since most urban streets are far from perfectly smooth, the front suspension on hybrids is a blessing.

The skinny tires of most road bikes do not do well on anything but smooth pavement, and true mountain bikes are overkill for leisurely riding.

Good luck!  I hope you find what you're looking for.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.