cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sleeping system for summer bikepacking across Europe and over the Alps

Hi,

I am looking to do a summer (end of July through august) bikepacking trip from Italy back to my home in England. Part of journey crosses the alps. I am just considering whether I need a new warmer sleeping bag for the section where I cross the alps.

I did a trip of wales in the summer last year (end of July) with a sleeping bag with a Comfort:+11° C/52° F/ Lower Limit:+6° C/43° F/ Extreme:-9° C/15° F. I also had a thermofleece liner that states that it boosts temperature by 11° C and a silk liner. As well as this I have a down jacket and some leggings that I would sleep in.

The highest I am planning and want to sleep is at 1000m of elevation although it is possible that I may need to sleep at 1500m in places like Zernez if I can't make it to the next camp site (although I may try book into a hotel instead if this is the case). However, I will also be sleeping in the Mediterranean near to sea level so I need quite a bit of diversity. I was wondering whether I should get myself a new bag for this trip or will my current set up be okay. I have been looking at sleeping bags around 5° C cooler so  Comfort:+5° C Lower Limit:0° C. Will this be necessary or will I need a bag with an even lower comfort rating. 

Thanks, Jamie

0 Likes
1 Reply

I think you'll be fine in Zernez, that time of year, with that kit.

REI Member Since 1979 YouTube.com/philreedshikes
0 Likes