cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Sing Loudly As You Ride

I've heard people say they like to sing in the shower.

For some reason, I, a normally reticent individual, like to burst into song while I'm riding my bike. One of my favorites is "If I Only Had A Brain," the classic song from The Wizard of OZ. I like to belt out an impersonation of jazz singer Abby Lincoln for this one. (My wife tells me I do it well.)

I especially like to sing to livestock like cows and horses, who often look up as I pass. 

I get to feeling so good that I don't stop when I pass people walking, or out in their yards.

This past fall, during the anxiety-ridden election, I began singing Christmas carols. It seemed to lighten the mood as I passed the increasingly hostile political yard signage. (Sometimes I sing Christmas music in the summer, just because it makes me laugh.)

Does anyone else do this?

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
18 Replies

@TomIrvine 100%!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

C'mon Jen . . . have a favorite song?

@TomIrvine most recently, the Hamilton soundtrack has been bubbling up for me while riding!

I do find myself singing on trail quite a bit. Although I do worry that I may attract some coyotes who think I am actually a wounded animal crying for help.

BTW, @TomIrvine there are some great YouTube videos out there of people who have gone up to pastures and sang (or played music) for cows. They respond very positively!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Between every two pine trees there is a door leading to a new way of life.” (John Muir)

I think I've seen some of those - the Norwegian lady in the white dress?

A middle-aged guy in spandex is a poor substitute, but the cows seem to appreciate a diversion.

@TomIrvine 

When I'm riding I always seem to be breathing too hard to be able to sing, however, I have definitely been known to belt out some show tunes and oldies when hiking, particularly in bear country. The Sound of Music, Newsies, The Greatest Showman, Rent, Oklahoma...my shame really knows no bounds when I'm concerned about being eaten!

It beats the heck outta sayin' "Hey Bear!" every few minutes. 

Whenever I see bear poop on the trails I launch into a long speech to the bear about how they really ought to practice better trail etiquette - you know, leave no trace. I mean, come on....

You are in good company. Pro cyclist Marianne Vos is known to sing while riding during races. As for me I don't really sing out loud but the most recent time I was playing Uptown Girl in my head for about 12 miles while mountain biking. 

I haven't --- yet!! But I may have to try it! I wonder how the cows would like "I Enjoy Being A Girl"? 😊