cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Shimano Tiagra SL 4700 compatible with Shimano 105 cs-5700 and 105 rd-5701?

Installed a new replacement chain [Shimano Ultra CN-6701] and rear cassette [Shimano CS-6700] on my commuter bike because the old ones were very worn. Purchased at Seattle flagship store with my bike along for reference. I've done this service previously and it worked for about 2 - 3,000 miles.

The old parts shifted relatively well and indexed OK though worn.
Derailleur hanger appears straight and there's no reason I can think of why it would have got bent in the R/R process. 

New parts won't index or shift properly.

Did some research and it looks to me like the existing 10-speed Tiagra SL 4700 right-hand [rear derailleur] shifter that I had on my bike is incompatible with the new rear drive train bits, because it doesn't index well or shift smoothly across all 10 rear cogs. Running a Shimano 105 RD-5701-gs rear derailleur.

Can you confirm the incompatibility? The logical fix at this point would be to replace the shifter. It's the oldest component at this point with probably 10,000 miles on it. I'll just find a more compatible Shimano 10-speed right-hand shifter, which should be more broadly compatible going forward.

Basically looking for verification that the new drive train parts are incompatible with the Tiagra shifter and that the new, more-compatible shifter should bring things in line.

Thanks,
Boots

0 Likes
1 Reply

Shimano Tiagra SL 4700 compatible with Shimano 105 cs-5700 and 105 rd-5701?

@bootsy due to the technical nature of this question, we'd recommend sending your above information and question to cyclinghelp@rei.com, which is staffed by a team of our bike technicians. They will be in the best position to troubleshoot the incompatibility you describe, noting that it may take a few days to hear back from them.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes