cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Seeking advice on bikes and bike trailers

Hello I am looking to purchase a bike for normal day stuff with kids. nothing crazy. flat trails with small rocks and some up hill. we would like to get a bike with airless tires. what do you suggest for a woman 5'29 and a man who is 6'2. we will also need to get attachments for little ones to ride on each of the bikes. I think what I am looking for is baby seats for each bike. Also want to make sure it can pull toddlers bike trailer. thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hey there @ocdonovans!

Sounds like a lot of fun getting the entire family out there!  We have a series of Expert Advice articles that I think you will find helpful as you begin the decision process. 

Based off the type of riding you described, I would recommend getting a hybrid bike. Here is a great article that can help you consider different features when choosing a hybrid bike.

In terms of fit, while your height is a good indicator. I would encourage you to take a few more specific measurements that will help you get the best fit. Check out this article on bike fit basics.

When thinking about getting the kids out there with you, there are a few options. One of the most popular seats is the Thule Ridealong Bike Seat! There are two great articles you might want to look at. This one is about Cycling with Young Children and there is one specifically for Choosing a Bike Trailer.

Lastly, the bikes that we sell typically come with standard tires that require tubes and air. I’m not sure if in your initial research you have found an airless tire that you are interested in but this article will help you to understand how bike tires are sized. This will give you the information necessary to consider when swapping tires. 

I feel like I may have given you a lot of homework here but the advice in these articles, I feel will confidently point you in the right direction. In addition, while our stores remain closed, we are offering virtual outfitting appointments  which are ideal in this case. One of our experts can help you weigh the options and get the whole family geared up from head to toe!

As you digest the information, it is likely that more questions will arise. Please do not hesitate to reach back out to us!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes