cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Road bike pedals

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation for pedals for my road bike that I could use with a normal shoe but then also clip in when I go on longer rides? I use the bike to commute to work where I’ll wear my normal work tennis shoes. But then, on the weekend I’ll go on longer rides and where my clip in shoes. I’m hoping to find one that works with Shimano SPD. 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
14 Replies

As others mentioned, the Shimano hybrid pedals (https://www.rei.com/product/668198/shimano-m324-spd-pedals) are great. I too use my bike for exercise as well as commuting and errands, and I put these on a few years ago. They are pretty heavy as far as pedals go, but seem to have lasted very well.

0 Likes

Hi everyone! Just a noob here... I really need your help or ideas for a Peloton Bike. I am thinking of getting one. What do you think?

0 Likes

I am getting one now from https://www.used.forsale/peloton-bike.
0 Likes

@grace_acebedo thanks for reaching out! Next time, we'd suggest starting a new conversation when you have a different topic to discuss - it's likely your question got lost in the shuffle!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@Nfinn wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation for pedals for my road bike that I could use with a normal shoe but then also clip in when I go on longer rides? I use the bike to commute to work where I’ll wear my normal work tennis shoes. But then, on the weekend I’ll go on longer rides and where my clip in shoes. I’m hoping to find one that works with Shimano SPD. 

Thanks! 

If you really want the best of both worlds, there are manufacturers that make flat pedal adapters for the SPD interface. Essentially, it's an SPD cleat machined to a flat platform. You can then use regular shoes for commuting and cleated shoes for ripping.

Correlation does not always imply causation.
0 Likes