cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Replacing the rear wheel on CTY 2.1 bike for indoor trainer

Hi,

I recently purchased the wahoo kickr snap indoor trainer for my CTY 2.1 bike.  Due to the tread on my bike wheel, the trainer makes a lot of noise. So, I wanted to put together a training wheel that I can use during indoor training, and use my regular wheels when I bike outside (swap the entire wheel instead of replacing the tire every time). 

Can you suggest the necessary parts to build a wheel that would be compatible with my bike and trainer? I believe the regular tires on my bike are 700x40c.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Reply

@ozy301 

Thanks for reaching out!

In order to get the best fit for your bike and set up, you're going to want to go to your local REI bike shop and speak with a bike tech about finding the correct rear wheel for your Co-op Cycles CTY 2.1. You will need a 700c wheel with the correct measurements to fit the 8 speed cog and disc brakes. Due to the broad variance in bike components and sizes it can be challenging to stock wheels in all of the different options. As such, it does not look like any of the rear wheels we offer on rei.com will work for your bike. Your local bike tech should be able to get the correct set up ordered for you. You can also speak with the tech about using a bike trainer tire, like the Vittoria Saffiro Pro Home Trainer Foldable Tire, to make sure you're cutting down on the noise of your new wheel.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.