cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Recommendations for a rear rack for a carbon fiber bike

I am looking for a rear rack to put on my carbon fiber road bicycle.  Please provide details of any such racks that REI has.  Thank you

0 Likes
5 Replies

Hey @JimB thanks for reaching out!

If you could provide a little more detail about your bike that would be super helpful in making a recommendation for a rear rack system. We don't want to make any assumptions about your bike, so if you could let us know if you have braze-ons for a rear rack (threaded bolt holes in the frame of your bike, typically near the seat post and again on the frame near the rear hub) and also what kind of brakes you have (disc brakes require a rack specifically designed for them) that would be very helpful.

Thanks and we look forward to hearing back from you soon!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

The bike is the typical carbon fiber road bike without any attachment points built into the frame.  The brakes are pads, not disc.  I have seen racks on carbon fiber bikes that are supported directly from the rear hub / skewer area and attach at or near the seat post clamp.  I plan to use the rack for lighter loads.  Will not be attaching panniers.  Thank you for any info you can provide.  

0 Likes

@JimB Thanks for getting back to us with some more details!

We have a couple of options that could work for you. If you want to mount directly to the rear hub take a look at the Axiom Cycle Gear Streamliner Rear Bike rack. If you're not planning on using panniers, you could consider a seat post bag like the Co-op Link Seat Pack or the Revelate Designs Terrapin System seat pack. They mount easily under your seat and can provide a versatile way to carry a few extra items.

Hope this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ @JimB I want on this wagon.... We just purchased two Cannondale Topstone bikes. I ordered the Topeak disc mount rack. There is no way to get the front support down to seat stay. I could attempt to create a clamp for the seat post, and wonder if that is the only real option. It isn't obvious how the Axiom rack previously suggested would mount - again, no place to attach the front support.

Any suggestions other than build a clamp for the seat post?

0 Likes

I purchased a 'Blackburn Ex 1 Disc Rack' and 'Axiom Seat Collar w/ Rack Eyelets'.  The installations instructions for the rack could be a bit more detailed; however, with some experimentations, the rack fit quite well.  Note the rack came with lots of associate hardware.  I used only part of hardware and presume the rest would be for other bike fittings.  I used it for 2 months without any issues preparing for a short trial tour in May and then a longer tour in July.  Unfortunately, both were canceled due to the pandemic.  I took the rack off the bike and placed it in storage for next year.  I do know others (with this rack) who keep it on their bikes permanent to carry extra "stuff" on regular rides.  I am very pleased with the Blackburn rack.  There is a minor limitation worth noting.  The rack attaches at 2 points: at the seat collar and on the rear bike skewer that is provided with the rack.  Fixing a flat on the rear tire will require detaching the rack to pull the wheel for the tire repair.  This will require a little extra time to repair a flat.  My plan was to put a new tire on the rear before the tour to minimize the need to repair a flat.  Hope the preceding helps and May The Wind Be To your Back.  

0 Likes