cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Question about mountain biking rider order

Question:  When riding as a couple, why is the man always in the lead?

I hike multiple times a week on trails that also have a lot of mountain bikers.  I don’t remember ever seeing a couple with the woman in the lead.  Even when there are two couples, both men are in front nearly always.

When hiking with my wife, I always let her lead.  I learned long ago that I’m faster and she gets tired and frustrated trying to keep up. So she sets the pace.  If I want to go faster, longer, higher, or more challenging I go by myself or a friend.  Hiking together is just that - together.

So I notice with the mountain bikers the man is in the lead, sometimes by several minutes.  I have a few guesses about it, but thought I’d throw it out to the community.

What are your thoughts?  Has anyone else noticed this or noticed more balance?  

As an aside, today, Mother’s Day, we met a group of obviously experienced bikers.  First, the 5 yo, then 7, 10, 12 and last the father.  The mother was probably enjoying peace and quiet!  What a great gift!😃

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies

Boy oh boy oh boy do I have THOUGHTS on this.

First of all to the post that claimed they rarely see women over 50 going very fast: I ( a woman) earned over 300 QOMs *after* 50. A mix of BOTH road and mtn bike. AND in a pretty competitive area. You just don't know the right women if you don't know fast women over 50. Plus I have several friends who are faster than I am.

As to the MTB question: I have been an MTBer for well over 25 yrs. Agree with everyone who says it is safer for the faster person(s) to go in front on a downhill, I really hate following slow downhillers, and agree it isn't safe either. Most women tend to be more tentative though I have ridden with some who are braver and faster than I, so I go behind. But I also find the best downhillers choose good lines so I like following them too, men or women.

However, climbing is a different story. When I rode with a team the guys would all sprint off ahead at the start of a ride, I was still warming up and followed more slowly up climbs. But by halfway through they had burnt out (& women can often have better stamina)... by the end of the rides I was leading all but the fittest guys up the climbs. (Chuckling all the way... ;-))

I will add, because I agree with the person who said it, that when a man rides off quite far ahead then what's the point of riding "together"? My ex initially rode with me on climbs or went ahead then came back and encouraged me, but after a few years started riding further and further ahead... maybe he didn't want to be seen as the same speed or slower but.. there's a reason he is an ex. 😉 I thought it was pointless being left so far behind I couldn't see him. And - as mentioned - I ain't a slow chick. 🙂

So guys I'd definitely agree if you want to ride "with" your other halves, stick close if you can and certainly not so far ahead you can't see them. I used to grumble that I might as well ride alone or with women friends. Happy trails everyone!

Thank you!  You brought a really good perspective to the discussion.  

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.