cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Re: Question about Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1 Step Thru

I'm interested in buying the above bike in Extra Small but have one question: can you tell me how wide the handlebars are? (hope that's clear . . . inches from left to right) If this seems a strange question, want to understand how difficult it will be to get into my Honda CRV.  Many thanks . . . Heidi

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @heidis,

Thanks for another great question, I'm glad you asked! The front wheel on the CTY 1.1 is a "bolt style" quick release. So you will need a 5mm allen key (also called hex key) to remove the front wheel. This tool is included with your purchase and comes in your bike box.

If you prefer to have it be completely tool free, I’m happy to share that swapping this part on your bike is inexpensive and quick to do! If so, I would recommend ordering a “lever style” quick release axle.

Because we don't currently have this part on our website, here is a link to a lever-style axle.

Part Info: 9mm Quick Release Skewer/Axle/Lever

Size: be sure to order the Front 100mm size (front and rear axles are different lengths), unless you want to replace both. The rear axle is 135mm.

Thank you so much again for reaching out to us!

If you have any bike assembly or repair questions, you can also email cyclinghelp@rei.com to connect directly with REI bike technicians like myself!

Happy riding,

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
5 Replies

@heidis We are so excited to help you get on a bike and get outside!  We got our hands on the exact model you asked for in the CTY 1.1 Step Thru, size XS, and you are looking at a measurement of roughly 26.5 inches (670mm exactly).   

We cant wait to see on your local bike path, on your new bike.  Enjoy!

0 Likes

@REI-EthanS Hey Ethan . . . Thanks so much. Unfortunately that's too wide. So my next question is about replacing the handlebar with one that's narrower. Is the attachment for the handlebar universal − or is there a specific attachment type I need to look for? 

THanks again . . . Heidi

0 Likes

Hello @heidis ,

Thanks for your great question! The handlebars and handlebar attachments aren't universal, they come in different diameters. The handlebar on the CTY 1.1 is 31.8mm diameter. You just need to look for a handlebar that diameter and you will be good to go.

That being said, I would highly recommend experimenting with a few different transport strategies before modifying your bike! Going much narrower than the bar width that comes on the bike may negatively affect the handling and result in it being a bit more difficult and not as fun to steer.

It is often the case that folks are able to fit bikes into their cars with the seats folded down even with very wide, 800mm, handlebars! There are two main steps to doing this:

1. Remove front wheel
  2. Turn handlebar and place the bike “chain side up” in your car

Here is an article that shows the steps. It’s not perfect information, but it’s a good visual. Here are a couple of notes on the content:

• In this example, they remove both wheels which you typically won’t need to do (it just makes fitting it inside even easier). I recommend leaving the rear wheel on if possible because it helps protect the drivetrain on the bike. For example, I don’t remove the rear wheel to fit a bike inside my Volkswagen Golf.
  • The “disc brake plugs” that are shown are optional. You can also just be careful not to squeeze your brake levers when loading/unloading your bike. Accidentally squeezing the lever will not cause you to need a brake bleed; you’ll just need to carefully spread open the brake pads with something flat and plastic before you put the front wheel back on.

I hope this helps!

Happy trails,

@REI-JessieD A final question about Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1 step thru:

Is front wheel quick release?

This is probably obvious since you suggest removing front wheel to put in car, but want to be sure before ordering.

THANKS!

0 Likes

Hi @heidis,

Thanks for another great question, I'm glad you asked! The front wheel on the CTY 1.1 is a "bolt style" quick release. So you will need a 5mm allen key (also called hex key) to remove the front wheel. This tool is included with your purchase and comes in your bike box.

If you prefer to have it be completely tool free, I’m happy to share that swapping this part on your bike is inexpensive and quick to do! If so, I would recommend ordering a “lever style” quick release axle.

Because we don't currently have this part on our website, here is a link to a lever-style axle.

Part Info: 9mm Quick Release Skewer/Axle/Lever

Size: be sure to order the Front 100mm size (front and rear axles are different lengths), unless you want to replace both. The rear axle is 135mm.

Thank you so much again for reaching out to us!

If you have any bike assembly or repair questions, you can also email cyclinghelp@rei.com to connect directly with REI bike technicians like myself!

Happy riding,