cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

pros and cons of different bike computers?

For mostly road and trail cycling. Pros and Cons of Garmin 530 vs Wahoo Element, or prefer something else?

0 Likes
3 Replies

I have tried several bike computers and my two favorites are the newer Garmin Edge 530 or 1030 and the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt (either the new color screen or older b&W one.  The Garmin has more 3rd party apps than the Wahoo, a climbing screen, and better directions.  The Wahoo offers better technical data and is a little faster operating.  Garmin has released a new update which has improved the speed.  I currently use the Garmin 530 and have liked it although I do most of my route planning in Komoot and import it into Garmin Connect or connect Komoot directly with Garmin Connect IQ.   

0 Likes

I enjoy my element bolt. I have not used a Garmin but my impression is they are more complicated to use. As long as you have a smart phone the wahoo is pretty easy to configure and set directions. Strava integration is also seamless. 

0 Likes

Garmin Edge 200 was all I needed when I first started uploading to Mapmyride, and then eventually Strava to keep track of my ride distance.  It was lacking the ability to add a Heart rate band and cadence, new friend in the cycling community, sold me his old Garmin Edge 705 and helped me set up the heart rate and cadence functions.  

Now I have a Lezyne Enhanced Super GPS that I have used for a number of years, its 22 hour battery was my reason for making this purchase.  Garmin's did not have long battery life when I made the Lezyne GPS purchase. I tested the Lezyne against the Garmin Edge 200 for several months, yep 2 GPS units on my bicycle for months and they seldom were more than a tenth of a mile different on my commute or a 100 mile ride.  

I have also used the Lezyne Enhanced Super GPS in Japan, I gifted one to my brother living in Japan and he still uses it to record his weekly rides.  A gps is wonderful fitness tool, it can be moved from bicycle to bicycle.  

0 Likes