cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Pedal/shoe/pannier mounting system recommendations for commuting with a Cannondale SuperX GRX Bike

Recently purchased the Cannonale SuperX GRX Bike, I have some FiveTen mountain biking shoes for my mountain bike and would primarily be using the Cannondale as a commuter, but not sure which pedals/ shoe combination to go with.  I don't want to preclude myself from taking this bike to the limits. Also, looking into some panniers for the commute and was wondering if there is a recommended mounting system for that bike.  Thanks for your help!!

0 Likes
3 Replies

@DanChop Thanks for reaching out!

We hope you're enjoying your new bike! You said you were primarily using this bike as a commuter bike but not wanting to hold yourself back. Can you tell us more about that? What are you thinking of when you say 'taking this bike to the limits'? Are you considering competing in cyclocross? Distance gravel rides? Bikepacking? Perhaps all of the above?

In terms of putting a rear rack on your bike, you are going to have some challenges due to the through axles and carbon frame. There are no bolting points near the rear axle to attach a standard rack. There are a couple of options, but we encourage you to check with the bike shop at your local REI store to talk through what may or may not work on your bike. Because your seat post is aluminum alloy, you could use a rear rack like the Topeak RX BeamRack with Side Frame - E-Type. That rear rack is compatible with the Topeak RX Trunk DXP with Panniers - Pair, which slides on to the rack and opens up with panniers if needed for your commute. The drawback to this system is that, because it is only attached to your seat post, it is limited to 15 pounds of weight. Depending on your needs for your commute you may need to use a backpack as well.

In terms of pedals and shoes, if you're planning on doing cyclocross or bikepacking where you're on trail and need solid traction, shoes like the Pearl iZUMi X-Alp Summit Mountain Bike shoes or the Shimano ME3 Mountain Bike shoes are both good, versatile options. Both of those shoes are compatible with SPD cleats and pedals like the Bontrager Comp MTB Pedals. If you'd like an option for being able to pedal without cleats, check out a pedal like the Shimano XT PD-T8000 SPD Pedals.

Hopefully this helps get you started, please don't hesitate to reach back out if you have more questions.

Thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ ,

Thanks for all the help and wisdom.  After some research I ended up going with the: Shimano PD-M8120 XT SPD Trail Pedals and Shimano ME5 Mountain Bike Shoes.  Can't wait to try them all out together.  As far as the pannier and bike rack set, I just moved back from Europe in September and may have tried to stretch the bike's possibilities too thin, but was hoping to do commuting, cyclocross, distance gravel rides and possibly bike packing.  I've been big into mountain biking but didn't want to buy a car here and wanted this to provide amateur level entrance into those activities.  In this day and age of 2020, any way to get off the grid seems to be a good day.  I bought a hyperlite while I was backpacking in the alps 2019 and have an osprey for day hikes - short multi-day.  I'll definitely talk to the reps at REI when I pick up all the gear Saturday and see what options there are but for commuting to and from work 15lbs will probably be enough to carry tools, rain jacket and pick up a few groceries.  Thanks again for everything.

Cheers,

Daniel

@DanChop You're welcome!

It sounds like you've had some pretty great adventures in Europe!

Thanks for circling back and letting us know what pedals and shoes you went with! Another option for carrying some gear on your bike, particularly if you're considering bikepacking in the future, would be a seat bag, frame bag, handlebar bag combo.

A seat bag like the REI Co-op Link Seat Pack or the Revelate Designs Terrapin System Seat Pack are great for carrying light-ish loads like changes of clothes, a tent, or sleep system. Whereas a frame bag like the Revelate Designs Ranger Bike Frame Bag can carry a bit more weight as it is held by the frame of the bike. A handlebar bag like the Ortlieb Handlebar Pack can also be a good option for lighter weight items.

These are primarily designed for bikepacking but could certainly work for commuting. Depending on your grocery needs they may fit the bill there, too.

Whatever you choose, it's a really sweet bike and I wish you many miles of happy riding!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes