cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Opinion on CO-OP Cycles DRT 4.1 Fat-Tire Bike

Do you ride one?

Thinking of purchasing one in medium......whenever one becomes available.

What’s your opinion?

Thanks!

7 Replies

Hi @MAYFLY - Thanks for reaching out! It's great to hear your interest in the DRT 4.1.

I don't ride one myself (I have an ADV 2.3!), but know there are some other community members that do. You might find some good information in this previous thread, How Can I Get More Information on the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1?

Hopefully some others will weigh in with their feedback as well. @HankG @ryanjohnson - do you have any thoughts to share? 

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

@MAYFLY 

Thanks for reaching out!

I do happen to ride a Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 Fat-Tire bike! I think it's great! In addition to the thread that was linked below I encourage you to check out this thread, Which rear rack works for the DRT 4.1 fat bike?, that also has lots of good information. I hope that @HankG and @ryanjohnson weigh in here as well as I know both of them ride this bike.

Personally, I really enjoy riding the DRT 4.1. As you'll likely have noted from those other threads, the cockpit felt a little small for me, so I lengthened my stem by swapping it out and that made a huge difference! I rode a Cannondale Fat Caad 2 for several years while living in Alaska and had a blast exploring the interior of Alaska on a fat tire bike. I really appreciate a couple features of the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 that you don't see in a lot of fat tire bikes: the 1x12 drivetrain (I love the simplicity of only one derailleur/shifter) and the braze-ons on the front fork. 

I actually ride a size medium. I am 6 feet tall, however, I have a short 30" inseam, which is why I size down (and needed to extend the stem a bit).

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have about this bike. Have you ridden a fat tire bike before?

Thanks!

The 4.1 is my first fat bike and it’s got me riding trails and snow and getting outdoors this winter which I hadn’t done before.  I’ve had a lot of bikes over many years but I haven’t had a bike that makes me smile and laugh out loud since my Schwinn stingray in 1965.  This bike is pure fun.  It gets me muddy (though less so now that I’ve fendered it) and it invites pointing and smiles from kids every time I ride it.  Get one, it’s fun!

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

Love the bike.  No speed records will ever be set while riding it.  I have a friend who is "a big guy".  He is VERY comfortable riding it.  I added Shimano dual pedals that are platform on one side and spd on the other.  No complaints so far.  Shifts are smooth.  The paint chips pretty easy.

@Dano 

Thanks for providing some additional insight into your bike! We're excited to connect with you and your Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1. Are you located in a place where you can get it out on snow? I recently moved from Fairbanks, Alaska to the Seattle area so my DRT 4.1 hasn't seen any snow or ice, however, I'm looking forward to some sand riding on the beach and perhaps some dunes this summer. 

We've had a couple of threads started about the DRT 4.1 if you'd like to check them out:

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and feedback!

Any news on REI’s availability of a medium 4.1? 

0 Likes

@MAYFLY 

Thanks for connecting with us about the availability of this bike. We are expecting to see more of the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike back in stock around the middle of August this year. That will include the size medium frame.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!