cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

New rims for Cannondale Synapse AL Disc SE 105 Bike - 2019

Hi,

I need some assistance purchasing new rims for the bike I purchased from REI last year:

• Cannondale Synapse AL Disc SE 105 Bike - 2019
  • Wheel size: 700c
  • Brake Type: Mechanical Disc Brake
  • Rims: WTB ST i19, 28h, tubeless ready
  • Tires: WTB Exposure TCS, 700 x 30c, tubeless ready
  • Tire Width: 30 millimeters

My rear wheel needs to be trued. The spoke tension is all off right now, but I cant bring it in to the bike shop until your stores open back up. So, I was hoping to purchase some new road performance rims that I can easily install and start riding without any assistance from a bike technician. Could you please provide a few recommendations. My budget is $200-400 for a new wheelset. I'm somewhat new to cycling so, please provide any advice and guidance that will help me make a good purchase. 

Thank you,

Pat

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @pjlavan 

I have done some research on your Cannondale Synapse and our wheelset options currently available. Your Synapse SE from 2019 has a 12x100 mm thru axle front wheel and a 135mm quick release rear. This works well on your bike, but isn't necessarily the most popular combination for complete aftermarket wheelsets. 

Since it sounds like your rear wheel might be not be in good enough shape to ride, this would be an option that you could swap over for the time being. Once our stores are back open, you could bring your original wheel into the bike shop and one of our technicians could evaluate it. 

You would also need to swap over your existing cassette and disc rotor. The disc rotor can be swapped using a T25 torx. The cassette will require a chain whip and cassette tool. Finally, you will want to wrap the rim in tape to prevent your tube from flatting.  You will want to select the 22mm width rim tape. 

I hope this info helps you get back on the road while our stores are closed. Feel free to reach back out with any other questions you may have. We also have some great how to videos over in our Expert Advice section that can help when your wheel arrives. 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.