cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Mountain biking advice - protective gear?

I have a trek 4900 hardtale from 2006 and I just got into mountain biking a couple months ago I don’t have any body armor is what do in need for this sport 

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @Kolin - Thanks for reaching out! Great to hear that you’re getting into mountain biking. It is an incredible sport, though you are right that some protective gear is warranted. The style of mountain biking you’re doing has an impact on what gear you will be right for you. For example, downhill riders require a lot more protection than someone riding cross-country, while Enduro riders are somewhere in the middle.

An important piece of gear that has varied options based on riding style is your helmet. Without knowing how you plan to ride your bike, we suggest looking at our Expert Advice article on how to choose a bike helmet to find what will work best for you.

Mountain biking gloves are used to protect your fingers on descents. You will have to choose if you want padded gloves, which are more comfortable on longer rides, or a pair without padding, which have better ventilation and allow you to sense your handlebar more. We recommend taking a look at the following options:

Padded mountain biking shorts and liners are used to keep you comfortable while going over rough terrain. Because riders switch between standing and sitting so often, these shorts are designed to reduce friction and help you stay dry. The following options could work well for you:

For more details on all of these different categories, we suggest taking a look at the Expert Advice article titled What to Wear Mountain Biking. Additionally, if you'd like to talk through these options with an REI product expert, feel free to set up a free virtual outfitting appointment.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions and we’d be happy to help!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes