cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for bike rack advice for carrying three bikes.

I'm looking for a hitch mounted bike rack, capable of holding at least 3 mountain bikes, and for that reason I'm leaning toward a 4 bike rack.  I was looking at the Thule Apex XT 4 bike hitch, and the Yakima Ridgeback or FullTilt 4 bike racks.  We have 2 medium frame mountain bikes, a Cannondale and a Specialized, along with a smaller kids bike, or a woman's Schwinn bike (bought at Target).  I just want to be sure each of those racks would be able to hold at a minimum the 2 mountain bikes plus the kids Trek (I think it's a small frame size, so not necessarily a kids' bike).  

0 Likes
1 Reply

@BM Thanks for reaching out!

The three bike racks you have listed should all work well for your needs. When considering a bike rack that fits through the frame of the bike, the most important consideration is whether the inside of the frame is big enough to fit the arms of the rack through. With your medium frame mountain bikes you should be fine, but you'll want to look at the frame of the smaller bike to be sure. The Thule rack lists the bars of the rack at 11''. If your bike frame will not fit on the rack, we recommend a product like the Thule Frame Adapter XT.  Depending on how much slope the top tubes on your mountain bikes have, you may need the frame adapter for those bikes as well.

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.