cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Looking for a manual for an old REI bike

Somewhere around 15 years ago, I was given a K2 Easy roller bicycle. It had a generator front hub, a control box and a three (?) speed automatic shifting rear hub. With three speeds and my laziness, it hung in my garage until about a year ago.

I live in flatter country now and really love the bike. But it doesn't shift. I can find no information of any sort on the web. Does REI have an owners manual or repair guide stuffed somewhere in an old file drawer?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

0 Likes
5 Replies

Hi @adc - What a great question! Thanks for bringing it to the community. 

By any chance is this your K2 Easy Roller bike? It looks like we sold that one at REI 13 years ago. We are going to go on a bit of a hunt for a digital version of the manual and will circle back here with an update. If you have a local REI, you could also bring it into the bike shop and have the technicians take a look. They might be able to figure out what is going on with the gears not shifting. 

It's great to hear that your bike has found some new life. Hopefully it is able to be serviced into better shape sooner than later!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@adc, thank you for sending us an email in response! We're going to post it here in the community so others can read it and potentially share their suggestions:

That is exactly the bike. I understand the suggestion to bring it in, but REI does not exist in the part of Arizona I am in right now. Plus, I really like the challenge. I think this is a fairly unique bike and I like the exploration / problem solving aspect.

0 Likes

Hi @adc - Unfortunately, we were not able to find a copy of the manual for the K2 Easy Roller. We suggest contacting K2 Cycles directly to see if they have any available for this bike model.

Best of luck with the project and we hope you have your bike in good working order again soon! 

0 Likes

This may be of interest...

https://www.parktool.com/blog/calvins-corner/shimano-coasting-system

Seems Shimano discontinued their "coasting" automatic gearbox a while back so getting parts may be a challenge.

Thank you. That is way more than I knew. I just wish I had details about how much current etc. Both hubs seem to function. I cannot get the control box to function yet. 

But again, thank you.