cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Intro to E-bikes with Ecology Action - Webinar Follow-up

Thank you for joining REI and Ecology Action for our Intro to E-bikes webinar!

Let's continue the conversation here. Ask any questions that we weren't able to cover during the event and we will do our best to answer you! This thread is meant for conversation, so it is not limited to Q&A; feel free to share your own personal experience with e-bikes, or tell us why you are looking forward to starting your e-bike adventure! 🚲

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
9 Replies

Tawn & Matt, at your service!

@Tawn_EcoAct 

Which is better or does it matter?  to bike till the battery's fully drained all the way then charge full OR when it's almost drained then charge it fully?

Also, any tips or tricks on how to lengthen the battery's life in general?

Hi @ForeverBlue ! 

From bike techs I've worked with familiar with Bosch systems (as one barometer), they've given the following battery life recommendations. If you are using your bike day in and day out (I use mine 5-6 days per week) keeping your battery charged and topped off is good and it maximizes your range! At least with Bosch systems, it shuts off charging when the batteries are full. I have a practice of coming back from my commute or a day of errands and just topping off my batteries for the next ride. That's been working great for me over the last 2.5 years. 

If you are storing your bike for weeks or months at a time without being used, they recommend a 75%-80% charge while it's not being used. Last piece of advice and this extends to all batteries for the most part, try to avoid extreme heat or cold as that can degrade your battery faster.

For other specifics, I'd check in with the manufacturer of your ebike and see if they offer any component specific recommendations. 

Thanks @mattmiller for taking the time to reply.  I'll remember these tips.

After a battery's 100% charged, after how many days of non-use does it start draining?
 
Also, they say to charge at 80% ONLY, so do we actually ride at 80% OR charge for the other 20% hours or a day before we ride as in a day or earlier before actually riding?

@Tawn_EcoAct 

Hi, I have a Samsung 36v 9ah lithium ion battery.  If you overcharge a battery accidentally even once, will that damage the battery by giving less riding time?  Because just 1x, I did that by 3 hrs & had 1/2 the riding time I used to...1.5 hrs in stead of about 3 & I was biking on the same terrain & using about the same amount of throttle, etc. so what gives?  Thanks for answering!

Thanks for these questions @ForeverBlue ! Our expert presenters have stepped away from their computers for the weekend. We will do our best to get some answers to your questions by end of Day Monday. Thanks so much for joining the "Intro to E-bikes" event and for continuing the conversation with us here!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

hi there,

I just put an order for an ebike through your store here in Issaquah, WA.

Is there any chance you can share the recording of the webinar? Thanks!

Hermann

Hi Hermann,

Congrats on ordering your new e-bike!!

Unfortunately, we cannot share a recording of the webinar at this time. We will be hosting another class with our friends at Ecology Action next week 5/4 at 5pm PST. Click this link to register: Urban cycling 101 with Ecology Action 

They will review cycling basics, including a light touch on e-bikes, and there will be room for Q&A at the end of the webinar.

Hope you can join us!!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes