cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How do you get your kids on bikes?

MORE Mom's on Bikes

Fri, Jul 12, 2019 5:30pm - 7:00pm | US/Eastern

Category

Women's Ride

Description

Come join the fun with Mom's on Bikes!
Thursday evenings 5:30-730PM at Little Gunpowder Trail on Rte 147 in the North Baltimore/Harford county area. Meeting at HARHAR Lot, Riding Amy's Trail! 545PM roll out, about an 1.5Hr XtraCasual Ride.
#moremomsonbikes
#MMOBRide
There will be a MORE waiver to sign pre-ride: https://www.more-mtb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/moreliabilitywaiver_2011.pdf

Please bring a helmet, water, snack, and a well maintained mountain bike. 

Questions, concerns please email: juliannesterrett@gmail.com"
Email: juliannesterrett@gmail.com

Location Details
Little Gunpowder Trail - HARHAR lot  
3160 Harford Rd
Fallston MD 21082 US
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Great question, I'd suggest inviting a friend her age to engage the social aspect of mountian biking.  Adults learn as kids, "It's just MORE fun when you share the experience".

Meanwhile, enjoy your time riding as a family.

Ernie

0 Likes
2 Replies

This can be a challenge. I have a 9-year-old girl who loves to be outside. However, it can be challenging to convince her to go on short bike rides with us. Once we're going, she prolaims that biking "is her happy place". It is the inertia of getting into the activity each time (often), and, for us, is not unique to biking (also camping, hiking etc., once we're doing it, she loves it). 

In my experience, we have to identify what the impediments are. Is her helmet unfomfortable? Is she wearing comfortable clothing? Are we going somewhere fun? Is she doing something right now that she wants to keep doing, and needs transition period? Planning head can be super helpful in overcoming these impediments.

We also reflect on times that we have biked together and how much fun we had along the way, or where we were going- even at times where we are not attempting to prepare for an outing. We remind her (and each other!) how much fun biking is, how easy it is (in our area) to get to many places, and the positive feelings from being outside and being active.

0 Likes

Great question, I'd suggest inviting a friend her age to engage the social aspect of mountian biking.  Adults learn as kids, "It's just MORE fun when you share the experience".

Meanwhile, enjoy your time riding as a family.

Ernie

0 Likes