cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How do I select the correct bike size?

I am interested in the Cannondale Quick 1. I previously owned a CAAD 8 that was 60 or 61 cm and was a bit too tall. I would be more comfortable coming in to the store to try the Quick 1 for size but too impatient to wait for stores to open. I am 6'2" with long legs but as I said the CAAD 8 was a tad too tall. Do you think the large would be a good fit for me or should I go with the XL?

Respectfully,

FJ

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi @FJ!

Thanks for the great question!

From the geometry chart, it looks like the XL size may be a slightly better fit for you. 

The differences in ‘reach’ and effective top tube are small between the two sizes, but the seat tube length is 5 cm longer on the XL. My concern would be an uncomfortable riding position for you on the L if you had a high saddle position to accommodate longer legs. 

That said, we get a bit more flexibility on hybrid bikes vs. road frames due to their geometry and construction.

I think the XL is a pretty safe bet!

I hope this helps! Happy cycling!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hey @FJ 

I have done some research into the geometry of your old CAAD8 and think I can offer you a good amount of advice despite you not being able to come into a store. 

In looking at bike fit, there are a few factors to look at. The first is reach, or the distance from the center of your bottom bracket to the center of the head tube. This measurement will help us compare different bikes with different angles and determine how stretched you might feel. The next is head tube length. A taller head tube means the handlebars will sit higher and you will be more upright. A shorter head tube will put you in a more aggressive or stretched out position.

If you had a 60cm CAAD8 the equivalent size in a Quick 1 is an XL. If you felt like this was too large, then moving down to a L would decrease your reach and hove the bars down a bit. You will have to run more seatpost to achieve the correct saddle height, so just keep in mind that the setup will look a bit different than your last bike. 

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help you get rolling on a Quick 1! 

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes

@FJ thanks for reaching out! As you'll notice, you got two great (and somewhat different) pieces of advice from @REI-ReinkeM and @REI-BryanV - they are both super experienced and knowledgeable cyclists, so the variation in their advice is likely a reflection of that the fact that it's hard to perfectly size a bike over the internet! As you read their responses, let us know if there are any other questions we can answer that might help you choose between a LG and XL.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.