cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How do I select and size a mountain bike online?

can I select a bike online or do I need to be fitted in a store? I could provide my needs and characteristics. 100 miles to nearest rei store {when open}.

0 Likes
3 Replies

@fishingbear Thanks for reaching out!

You can certainly select a bike online! If you would like to give us your information (height, inseam, etc) and what you are looking for in a bike we would be happy to assist you here in the community.

Every bike that we ship directly to customers is unboxed,  assembled, completely adjusted, and test-ridden by the dedicated bike mechanics at our distribution centers. Our mechanics then remove the pedals, front wheel and handlebars to package the bike for shipping to you.

Once the bike arrives, the process to put the finishing touches on your bike is fairly straightforward- we include tools and detailed instructions to get the job done, and you can always reach out to cyclinghelp@rei.com for any technical questions or advice about the process.

What kind of bike are you looking for?

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@fishingbear Thanks for sending some more detail via email. We are responding here so that other folks in the community can benefit from the information.

Based on what you described, 29" wheels and your measurements, it sounds like we have a couple of bikes that will work for you:

Both of them have larger wheels and will handle all the rough roads Montana and California can throw at them. Based on your inseam we would recommend going with a medium size to give you enough standover height.

In terms of a hitch rack, you have a lot of options, depending on the style of hitch you have and how you want to access the back of your vehicle. Here are some suggestions, feel free to let us know if you would like a different recommendation:

You'll want to make sure that the rack you purchase matches the size of your hitch receiver (2" or 1.25"). 

Hopefully this helps!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ 
hoping for an alternative to cannondale 7  which offers medium size in the same price range.

0 Likes