cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How can I get more information about the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

Hi

I see a beautiful orange REI fat tire bike, the DRT 4.1, referenced on the Internet. Does REI still make it? If not, why? And where can I get one? Maybe a “Leftover”?
thanks!

hank

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
36 Replies

@HankG 

I can't tell you what the tire pressure was, because I realized before I went out yesterday that my gauge is broken. So I ordered a new one this morning. I haven't put any air in them since I picked up the bike, so they're probably a bit lower than normal. But it didn't ride sluggish on the pavement, so they weren't too low.

As far as the back wheel alignment, I could feel a sort of pulsing when I was going down hill. Looking at the back tire while riding, it did appear that it was moving side to side a bit. As I understand it, REI provides a tune-up with the bike purchase, so I'll probably take it in after a few more rides to get that looked at.

To answer your other question, I'm about 5'11" and, thanks to not being able to go to the gym for my normal swimming workouts, I'm heavier than normal at about 210.

Here's a shot of me on the bike yesterday...

Ryan wearing a backpack riding bright orange fat tire bike with trees in the background

Actually, @REI-JohnJ what do you think of the fit ☝️? Since we've been discussing fit so much, and given it's been awhile since I've ridden mountain, I wonder if you can assess fit from the image.

Thanks!

@ryanjohnson 

Looks good! Based on that image, I'd say that you're really close to being dialed in with that fit. Since you're getting back into mountain biking then you'll probably appreciate being a little more upright for a while. When you get comfortable in the saddle and a really solid feel for the bike, I would recommend looking at longer stems, particularly if you are planning on doing longer rides and/or bikepacking.

Enjoy that sweet ride and maybe we'll run into each other out on the trail!

John

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.

Hello John and Ryan

i just finished my first ride on the bike, about 21 miles on a rail trail with gravel and a little bit of mud, the tires are fun and I think the frame fits but I noticed there’s a lot of pressure on my hands. The handlebars seem unusually wide to me, and I’m wondering if that’s a current trend in cycling in general or a fat tire bike feature. I found that the only way to get the pressure off my hands was to  the hold the handle bar a few inches to either side of the stem.  Of course that also put me more upright too. So John, do I need a stem riser? Narrower bars? Different size frame?  
the bend in my knees At the bottom of my pedal stroke is a lot more than I would usually have on my road bike ( I don’t do any mountain biking) yet somehow it doesn’t seem uncomfortable, it seems OK on this bike on this terrain. And I’m concerned if I raise the seat higher I’d have even more  pressure on my hands. Any thoughts?
thanks!

Hank

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.

@HankG Nice ride! 21 miles is impressive! 

It has been a trend in mountain biking for handlebars to get wider, which is likely why it feels very different. The advantage of wide handlebars on a fat tire bike is that it improves your ability to navigate technical terrain, particularly at low speed.

Personally, I use a set of Ergon GP2 handlebar grips on my fat tire bike to alleviate hand pressure. I specifically went with the model that has a bar end to allow different hand positions, however, that would mean moving your hands to the outside of the handlebars, which may or may not help. 

Your best bet would be to head in to your local REI store and speak with a bike fitter. They will be able to accurately assess your fit on the bike and make suggestions of how to dial it in. You are correct that there are a lot of ways to change the fit (narrower handlebars, raising the stem, lengthening the stem, raising the seat, moving the seat, and going up a size in the frame) and each one can affect the others differently. 

I would start by raising your seat just a little bit to see what impact that has on your ride. While it may seem like it will increase the pressure on your hands, raising the seat will actually move it back slightly as well (angled seat post) and that may stretch you out in the cockpit just a little bit and potentially relieve some pressure by adjusting how your hands rest on the bars. Raising and lowering the seat is one of the easiest adjustments you can make and, if you take your tool on your ride, you can always adjust it back down if it doesn't help.

Hopefully this helps, keep us posted on your progress!

0 Likes

The bike remained at home while we evacuated for a week due to Oregon fires. But we're back home (for now), and the bike is okay, along with our house and the rest of our stuff. It might be awhile before I can ride again because of the smoke.

I hope everyone is safe and staying healthy.

@ryanjohnson 

Thanks for checking in. We're really glad to hear you're okay as well as your home. Here's to many miles on two wheels after the smoke clears!

John

Hey all. I picked up the Brooks Cambium C17 and threw it on the fatbike. Really enjoying it so far! It offers a wider base, and I needed a little more room, especially toward the back of the saddle. Did anyone change their saddle yet?

IMG_9404.JPG