cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How can I get more information about the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

Hi

I see a beautiful orange REI fat tire bike, the DRT 4.1, referenced on the Internet. Does REI still make it? If not, why? And where can I get one? Maybe a “Leftover”?
thanks!

hank

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
36 Replies

@HankGI suspect the large might work well for you. I still really wish I could have tried a large just to compare, but given how I can "feel" the top tube when I stand over the medium, I think I'm probably on the "correct" size.

The stems on my two road bikes are threaded in, so I can't try them on this bike. @REI-JohnJ What size stem did you try? I do think a slightly longer stem would help.

I've only had a chance to ride the bike around my neighborhood so far, so I'm not quite at the point of evaluating it. I don't yet have a full bikepacking setup, so I'm going to see if my rack and panniers will work in the meantime, so I can try to get at least one overnight trip in before the rain comes in earnest to the PNW.

Also, @REI-JohnJ, did you try the tent with the poles in the saddle pack? Did that set it up high enough over the back tire?

Thank you both!

0 Likes

@ryanjohnson 

Thanks for the questions. I reached out to the bike designer and the stem on the medium DRT 4.1 is 60mm extension, 3° rise, with a 31.8mm bar bore. Based on that, I measured the stem I put on it and it looks like it is 80mm, with a similar rise (it came off my other fat bike). 

Your local REI bike shop should have some stems of varying length on hand, or at least be able to order the correct one in for you fairly quickly.

In terms of the seat bag, I have not had the chance to put my tent in there, however I just put an REI Macro Flex Lite chair in the bag (roughly the same weight and, most importantly, has the rigid poles as well) and it definitely lifted the seat bag and gave me the couple of extra inches I was looking for!

Here's a pic:

Tigger3.jpg

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Ryan

good luck to you fitting well on the medium, pleAse keep us posted, I’m interested to see how it works out for you   

John

thanks for the picture of the bag mounted to your seat.  

meanwhile I’m hoping my bike’s ready this week and fingers crossed: hop it fits inside my highlander with the seats down since I don’t have a hitch and rack on this vehicle I just inherited from my wife.  

is there a rear rack that two bikes can sit on (and not hang, suspended) that’ll hold those fat tires of the 4.1 and my adv 1.1 (700x38 tires)?

Thank you Both for sharing your info

Hank

0 Likes

@HankG 

Any word on your bike?! Are you going to be able to pick it up tomorrow? Here's hoping!

I use a Thule T2 Classic 2 bike hitch rack on my rig and it works great. I have to use different straps as the ones included with mine aren't long enough but I'm almost certain they include longer straps now (it says it will hold 5" tires). You could also look at the Yakima Holdup Evo 2 Bike hitch rack as it will also accommodate both your bikes.

@ryanjohnson I know you said you had panniers for your bike and I wasn't sure if you had purchased a rack yet. One of the designers of the bike said they tested a Blackburn and a Tubus rack on the back of the DRT 4.1 and both worked great. Let me know if you want me to follow up with which specific model they were using as it looks likes REI is currently out of them.

Thanks!

0 Likes

@REI-JohnJ 

Yeah, I have Ortlieb panniers and a back rack (pdw). It's this one, and frankly, it's heavy.

pdw bike rack made of wood and metalI'm in a mode where I'm not super eager to buy a load of new stuff (largely for environmental reasons...ironic, I know, since I just bought the bike, but also because I don't relish turning over my whole kit ever few years). But I'm not sure my old gear will even work on this bike. Frankly, I haven't had a chance to get the bike out yet, nor test any of my existing gear on it. I hope to do so later this week or over the weekend.

I suspect that rack ☝️ won't fit over the tire, but it is adjustable to some extent, so we'll see. It's only ever seen a lugged steel 90s Bianchi until now!

Thank you for checking in.

0 Likes

Hi John and Ryan

im dropping my adv 1.1 for its free tune up tomorrow and hoped to pick up the DRT 4.1 but it hasn’t gotten to my paramus nj rei yet.  I ordered the 4.1  the first day it came up for sale so I am a little surprised but honestly the anticipation and looking forward are so much fun I don’t mind prolonging the wait a little!

thanks, John, for the rack info, I’ll research those.  My wife hasn’t been on a bike in years and would like to bring her cruiser to Acadia To ride the carriage trails  in October and I’d bring the 4.1 So we’ll need a rack. 

Ryan thanks, I’ll research those rear racks.  Not sure if I’ll put a rack on the 4.1 or not.  So far I’ve never ridden any fat tire bike, I ordered the 4.1 on a lark ‘cause it looks like it’d be so much fun.  I may just use it on snow and muddy bumpy rail trails with a camelback to start.  

thanks guys!  And I hope you’re getting your cockpit dialed in

hank

0 Likes

@HankG and @ryanjohnson,

I wanted to add a couple of thoughts around the bike rack conversation:

The designers noted that they put in two points at which to attach a bike rack to the seat post area. On smaller models of the DRT 4.1, there are two SS braze-ons located on the frame of the bike, below the seat but not on the seat post, there are also two points located on the seat post clamp, which work better for installing a rack on larger frame bikes. Ryan, with a medium frame you'll likely have to make that determination yourself as to which one will work better with your rack.

Speaking of your rack, given that's its steel you may have to work a bit to get it installed around your tire. You should be able to hold it up and get a good gauge if it will fit just by eyeballing it. It may take some encouragement, which you might want to have a bike shop do for you, depending on how comfortable you are performing such things.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

0 Likes

I finally got out on the DRT 4.1 today! It was awesome. It's such a smooth ride. Furthermore, I was able to easily float over a grassy field with little effort. It really is a different ride.

I still wonder if the frame is just a tad small, but I've also been riding mainly road bikes for the past several years. With the longer road bike top tubes, and the hunched over position, I think some of it is just getting used to the more upright position of the mountain bike again.

Thankfully, my Thule hitch rack worked great for transport. My roof rack trays wouldn't have worked because of the tire size. And given the front wheel isn't quick release, it would have been kind of a pain to use a fork mount anyway.

There seems to be just a little side-to-side play in the back wheel when at top speed, but that should be a quick alignment fix. All in all, it was an awesome ride, and I'm looking forward to more time in the saddle this long weekend.

Orange Co-op fat tire bike on Thule rack on back of tan Ford Ranger

Orange Co-op fat tire mountain bike leaning on a fence in the woods

Orange Co-op fat tire bike leaning on picnic table showing large front tire

0 Likes

@ryanjohnson 

Thanks for circling back with us here and for the great pics! Keep in mind the stem if you think you need a bit more length in the cockpit. Have fun out there!

@HankG  How do you like yours?!

John

0 Likes

Hi @REI-JohnJ and @ryanjohnson 

great pix, glad you’re enjoying the 4.1.  I got mine last Saturday and haven’t had a chance to ride yet.  Picking up at REI a 5-6 yo boy holding his dad’s hand looked at my bike and said, “daddy look at the tires on that bike!” I told him I felt exactly the same way!  Hope to ride it soon and give feedback.  

Ryan

what tire pressure did you use on that field?

and do I understand you correctly, you’re feeling the rear wheel move side to side a bit while riding? Is the thru axle loose or is something else causing the play?

And, if I may ask, what is your height and weight?

thanks

have a great weekend

hank

0 Likes