cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

How can I get more information about the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike?

Hi

I see a beautiful orange REI fat tire bike, the DRT 4.1, referenced on the Internet. Does REI still make it? If not, why? And where can I get one? Maybe a “Leftover”?
thanks!

hank

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes
36 Replies

Hi @ryanjohnson and @REI-JohnJ 

i ordered my 4.1 the first day it was available and am picking it up next Thursday.  I have not had an opportunity to get into a store and try one so I guessed and ordered a size large.  I am 6’1” and pretty inflexible.  My pants inseam runs 31-32”.  I bought an adv1.1 bike size XL and it fits very comfortably.I extrapolated best I could and   I’m hoping the Size L drt 4.1 Will fit Well.  I’ll keep you posted.  

John, in your photo, which frame pack and seat pack are you using?

best regards

hank

0 Likes

@HankG @ryanjohnson 

I'd love to share my set up! But first, let's talk sizing. The cockpit of the bike definitely felt small, but once I moved the seat back it was much better. I will likely get a little bit longer stem, but it rides pretty well for me as is. Hank, if you had an XL road bike and that fits well, it is likely you will want a different stem for the fat bike. When you go to pick it up, take your helmet and ride it around the parking lot to see how it feels. Ask the shop if they have any longer stems if you feel like you need it. Someone in the bike department should be able to get you taken car of!

Here's my bikepacking kit on my DRT 4.1:

Seat Pack: REI Co-op Link Seat Pack

Frame Bag: Revelate Designs Ranger Frame Bag, Size Medium

Top Tube Bag: REI Co-op Junction Top Tube Bag

Seatpost Bag: Revelate Designs Jerrycan Seatpost bag

I also have a Revelate Designs Feedbag, a Salsa Anything Cage and Anything Cradle that I haven't put on yet. One thing I noticed is that there is very little room between the seat bag and the tire, the seat pack was rubbing against the tire multiple times on my ride. Before I load it for a trip I'll have to figure out how to keep it off of there. Putting the poles to my tent in there to make it more rigid might do the trick, or I may need to rig up another strap or something. Those tires are HUGE!

Here's another pic from the trail today:

Tigger2.jpg

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

John

Since the Salsa anything cage is no longer available what pack or cage that REI sells do you recommend for fork mounting?

and thank you in advance for sharing your packing set up!

Hank

0 Likes

@HankG 

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is anything comparable to the Salsa Anything Cages that REI carries. I just look at the Salsa website and it looks like they have a feature that can point you in the direction of bike shops that are in stock, that is likely your best bet if you need them quickly. Hopefully REI will be back in stock soon, but at this time we don't have any more information on when that might be.

One other option to think about is a down tube bag like the Revelate Designs Joey Down Tube Bag. I had a local craftsman make one for my mountain bike and I love it. I will likely pick up the Revelate Designs bag as it looks to be just a bit wider and more accommodating of my MSR Windburner stove.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

0 Likes

Hey @HankG and @ryanjohnson!

It's been a while and I hope you are enjoying time in the saddle. Ryan, I hope your recovery is going well!

I wanted to update you really quickly if you were still interested in the Salsa Anything Cage HD that we now have them in stock! This updated model has a much better strap system as well so that is a cool benefit.

Do either of you have any fat-tire biking plans for 2021? I'm hoping to get some riding time on the beaches here in the PNW!

Have a great day!

John that cage looks cool And the description says it’s designed to be used with the salsa anything cage bag, but I don’t see that bag available on the REI site. Am I missing it?

0 Likes

@HankG 

The bag it is referencing is the Salsa Anything Bag, which is essentially a heavy duty dry bag that fits into the fork mounted bracket and holds 4.5 liters of gear. It does not look like we expect to get any more of that item in stock in the near future. We do carry the Revelate Designs Polecat Fork-Mounted Dry Bag, which is very similar and holds 3.5 liters of gear. You could also simply go with a smaller dry bag like the REI Co-op Lightweight Roll-Top Dry Sack in the 5 liter size. Anything much bigger than that and you will be running the risk of having too much bag that may hang over the cage and interfere with your front wheel.

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

Yeah, probably won't be riding for awhile. Apparently I need a surgical repair, and another dislocation is more likely until that happens. Quite a bummer.

My plan had been to bikepack half the Oregon Coast this summer, but it might have to wait. I'll get to it eventually!

0 Likes

@HankG @ryanjohnson 

I wanted to circle back with you about the fit of the Co-op Cycles DRT 4.1 fat tire bike. I swapped my stems out today and it was exactly what I needed to dial in the proper length for me. It's definitely worth considering if you feel like the cockpit of the bike isn't quite long enough. I happened to have the right stem on a different bike, but I'll probably grab a new one anyway (as my other bike is now too short), should be a pretty easy part to find at your local bike shop.

Hope this helps, enjoy your ride!

0 Likes

John, thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.  As I age I find I’m less flexible despite daily exercise so my gut is telling me the cockpit on the new 4.1 is gonna fit well. Or close and I’ll “grow” into it.  But if I’m wrong I’ll definitely try a different stem or two and play with fore-aft seat position.  To tell you the truth if anything I was concerned before I ordered that the reach might be a Little long and was considering a medium rather than the L I ordered.  Reading your and Ryan’s experiences of medium being a tad short I think L will fit me.  Expecting the bike this week and can’t wait!

hank