cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Checkup for new Cannondale ebike

I have been riding my new Touchstone Neo 5, purchased at REI, for one week now and love it.  So far I've put on 100 miles in that week with one charge up.  I note in the Cannondale ebike manual that it is suggested that you take bike in for an initial checkup at 150 km (90 miles).  How important is this checkup?  The bike is performing fine and returning to dealer for this is not all that convenient for me.  Also, is there a charge for this checkup?

0 Likes
4 Replies

I think that decision would be based on your mechanical skills and bike knowledge. If you are a wrencher , have the tools and  have worked on bikes for years then perhaps you're OK to check the bike thoroughly for loose connection, chain tension, spokes, etc. If not, then I would take it in if for no other reason that there might be a software update for the motor that you are unaware of. Another compelling reason could be  due diligence in maintaining the warranty. If you have a problem in 6 months, will the question be asked, "Did you bring it in for the 150k check up?"

0 Likes

Thanks for response and advise.  I've been riding bikes many years and can inspect for most issues.  The REI mechanics assembled and fitted the bike for me just a 10 days ago and I did have it back to them a couple days later when battery key was stuck.  I might have it back to them in a month or two to convert tubeless ready tires to tubeless.  The follow-up checkups in the manual appear to be advisory and not warranty-required.  So as long as the bike continues to perform so well, I'll hold off on taking it back to them so soon for inspection.

0 Likes

First off a disclaimer, I work for a different bike store and not REI, but this probably holds true industry wide.

The 100-mi check is mostly a safety check, that nothing has come loose and that the shifting is still good. Generally if everything was tightened properly to torque to begin with, it should stay tight and we don't usually find serious issues during these checks (which at least for our shop is a free service for bikes purchased from us). Small adjustments to shifting is the most common action we take during these, as the act of using the bike normally instead of just in the repair stand can cause cable "stretch": nothing is actually stretching, but the cable housing ends may slightly shift and settle better into the stops on the frame that they sit in, which affects the tension on the cable.

Sometimes we come across little things like the tires are way underinflated and find out that they don't have a pump at home and didn't realize tires can lose a PSI per day. Or they've put their quick release skewer back in the wrong way on their front wheel after car transport. Got to remember that some of these things are catered to all folks, even those that are new to owning bikes. If you're a seasoned cyclist that knows how to tweak your shifting a little, and everything is working well with no unusual noises, you're probably okay.

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
0 Likes

Hi @InfoDave - Thanks for bringing this question to the community! You have gotten some great advice from @TomV and @PWHildalgo.

At REI, bike adjustments within the first year of purchase are free. Often times after the first hundred miles or so the cables and housing for the shifters and mechanical brakes will "settle in" and may need adjustments to function properly. Technicians also take a look that the spokes on the wheels have not loosened and that the wheel is secured to the fork and frame. All bikes getting these check-ins are looked over completely; for E-bikes this includes checking for any programming updates as well. 

If you are confident that nothing has or is loosening up on the bike and you wait to bring it in at a later date, we suggest taking a look at our Expert Advice article on How to Do a Pre-Ride Bike Inspection.

It's great to hear you are enjoying your new bike so much. If you ever have any additional questions about it or want to share anything you've learned, there are lots of cyclists here in the community who love discussing different setups, advice, and tips, as well as great places to ride!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes