cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members!
We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community,
click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Cannondale Topstone Carbon 5 Upgrades

Hello,

I recently bought a Cannondale Topstone Carbon 5 at REI. As I intend to use it as my only bike I am considering making the 700c wheels into road wheels and getting a set of 650b wheels for gravel/off-road riding. Doing some research it seems 650b wheels can be redished if I bring them into REI for use in the Ai frame. 

I am also looking at compatible cassettes for the new wheels and it appears the rear derailer that comes with the bike (RD-RX812) is compatible with up to 42T low sprockets. The rear cogs on the stock wheels are Shimano 105, 11-34T, 11-speed. I was wondering if there were adjustments that would need to be made to switch between wheel sets and different cassette sizes. 

Thanks,

Christian

0 Likes
4 Replies

@clazzarini 

Thanks for reaching out!

We connected with our friends at Cannondale and here is what they said:

'Any REI bike shop should be able to redish a set of wheels to Ai without a problem. The cassette and rotors would be able to move over to a wheelset that has matching hub specs to their current wheels. There should be no issues there!'

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi John -

Thanks for the response! So even though I will have two sets of wheels (one 700C with a 11-34T rear cassette and the other 650b with a 11-40/42T rear cassette) I should be able to swap seamlessly between the two?

Thanks!

@clazzarini 

Thanks for the clarification! We spoke with a bike tech and there are likely going to be two issues you run into with your plan for swapping between two different wheel sets that have different cogs:

• You will need to make adjustments to your derailleur when swapping between the two. If that is something you're comfortable and/or have experience with, then you know what you're getting into. If you haven't done that before, we recommend speaking with a bike tech about what that entails.
  • You may have an issue with chain length when swapping between two different cogs.

These are the two main considerations you'll want to talk to your local REI bike tech about before making the commitment to a new wheel set. You'll also want to make sure you use the same brake rotor (or at least the same diameter and relative thickness).

Hopefully this helps, thanks!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes

Hi John,

Just to confirm. The plan is not to swap the cassette to the new set of wheels. I'd like to get a new cassette for the 650b wheels. In doing so I would also put a 11-40/42T rear cassette on the new wheels. So I would be swapping between a set of 700c wheels with 11-34T (stock bike wheels) and another 650b set of wheels with a 11-40/42T rear cassette.

Thank you!