cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Cannondale Quick CX3 - Replacing Tire/Tube, with a different width

I have a Cannondale Quick CX3 and it has a 700C X 40 tire. I am researching options to replace my tire (better quality, different size than what came standard on the bike) and inner tube (with Slime filled in it). However, the slime filled tubes come in smaller widths.

Here’s my question: I’d like to replace my existing Kenda Tire/Tube with the following :
  • Schwalbe Marathon Plus Bike Tire - 700 x 28 / 32 / 35 - Item #108439
  • Slime Self-Sealing Smart Presta Tube - 700 x 28-35 - Item #732121

Will the above tire/tube combination work with my existing Rims as-is or should I buy new Rims as well ?

Thank you for your help. Please advise.

0 Likes
9 Replies

Hey @anil 

Looks like you did your research! Those tires and tubes should work well together! 

Have fun out there.  

At REI, we believe a life outdoors is a life well-lived.
0 Likes

@REI-BryanV thank you Bryan. I appreciate your response. What's the thinnest tire that can go with my existing rims on the Cannondale Quick CX3 ? I think the width of the existing Maddux rim on my bike is 24 cm, and my existing tire is 40mm wide. With the stores closed, I will have to buy the tire/tubes online, and install it myself. If they don't work, then I'll have to return (which I am trying to avoid).

0 Likes

@anil 

There are two things to consider when looking to reduce tire size. One is rim width, which you have noted as 24mm. The other is considering the geometry of the bike was designed around this tire size. Anything drastic will change how it handles and how high the bottom bracket is. This second piece makes more of a difference when talking mountain bikes, since on the road we are talking millimeters. 

With a 24mm rim, I would keep it at or above a 30mm tire. Going smaller than that would really stretch the tire and expose the sidewalls to more cuts. Cannondale also specs the Quick 3 (non CX) with a 30mm tire. The tire you reference above comes in a 32mm, which is a great option. That is the size I ride on my gravel bike when I have slicks on it and I love it. 

0 Likes

@REI-BryanV Thank you Brian. I appreciate your quick response. I'll get the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Bike Tire - 700 x 28 / 32 tire and Slime Self-Sealing Smart Presta Tube - 700 x 28-35 tube combination and will try it on my Quick CX3.

Stay safe.

Correction. Thank you Bryan 😀

I got the 700X32 C tires and was hoping they’d work just fine with my rims on the Quick CX3. Unfortunately, the tires did not work with my existing rims. Now, I’ll have to return them.

0 Likes

Hi @anil would you mind sharing what is happening? I didn't see anything in the specs of your bike that would have made them incompatible. Hopefully this is something we can troubleshoot. 

0 Likes

The tire did not get onto the rim. It seemed like the tire needed more wall on it for it to fit on the rim. Let me take some pics and upload here.

0 Likes

@anil It is entirely possible that the interface is a bit tighter than the previous tire. Given that it is small in width, it will make it a bit of a tighter fit with the tube int here. I would suggest using a tire lever and ensuring the bead of the tire is sitting in the drop channel of the rim all the way around. This will give you the most slack possible! 

0 Likes