cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

buying my first bike trainer

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a trainer, but I've never used one. Will my bike need a tune up first? Also, how do I know what gear (front wheel stabilizer) is included with the trainer?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Reply

Hi @m_e_mcneill

It's always a good idea to have your bike regularly inspected to make sure it's safe and functioning properly.  If you bring your bike to your local REI bike shop, we can inspect your bike and let you know if any service is recommended.

A good place to start shopping for an indoor bike trainer is our Expert Advice article about How to Choose an Indoor Bike Trainer

Our product descriptions will tell you what is included with the particular trainer.  Depending on the type of trainer you decide to get, for example, you may need to purchase and install a cassette for certain direct drive trainers where you take the rear wheel off and mount your bike directly on the trainer.  Some of the other gear you may need will also depend on your particular bicycle and specific trainer. 

If you have questions about specific trainers and bike compatibility, or need help picking out a trainer, you can stop by your local REI or you can schedule an appointment with one of our Virtual Outfitters.

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes