cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Welcome REI Co-op Members! We're glad you're here. If you can't access the Co-op Members section of the community, click here for instructions on how to join the section that's just for you.

Biking the abandoned section of the PA Turnpike

Hey everyone!  Now that spring is upon us and I have pulled my bike out of the garage, and after reading and responding to posts from @jnophoto and @sb4700 , I was reminded of a really cool trip I took last fall.  I probably should have posted this back then, but procrastination got the better of me.  So, better late than never, right?

This is a 13 mile section of the Pennsylvania Turnpike near Breezewood, PA that was abandoned in 1968 when they created a new, wider section to accommodate the increased traffic.  It's technically not an official trail yet and signs warn that it's at one's own risk, but it is not trespassing to walk or ride it.

There are 2 tunnels you ride through.  Rays Hill Tunnel is 3/4 of a mile long, and Sideling Hill is 1-1/4 long.  You absolutely need powerful headlights to go through them, as they are pitch black inside.

The whole area has a creepy vibe to it, reminiscent of something from The Walking Dead.  In fact, scenes from the Viggo Mortensen movie, The Road, were filmed there.  But, despite the creepiness, the surrounding vistas are beautiful.

PA Turnpike Tunnel.jpegPA Turnpike.jpeg

Superusers do not speak on behalf of REI and may have received
one or more gifts or other benefits from the co-op.
10 Replies

@Rob6 

You should definitely put Wompatuck on your list then! I was riding my bike there and rode up what I thought was just a hill and then it abruptly ended in a sheer drop. I was shocked when I looked over the edge and there was a door standing open. It was one of the bunkers that was hidden in the woods with only a now-overgrown railroad track leading to it. I didn't have a light so I didn't go inside but it was super spooky!

At REI, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
0 Likes